New member with specific questions about Oslo and T5.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moonsynth

Oct 29, 2014
Galway, NY
Hi, new here and just looking to discuss some specific questions. I've absorbed a lot of info reading the forums here, thanks!

Regarding the limited dimensions of the T5 firebox: In deciding between the Olso and the T5, I'm worried about the 18" length limit of the T5. Generally, with purchased split wood, do you folks have trouble with splits being too long? Do most splits fit NS and EW? The fire box looks so much smaller than the Olso, although I realize the Olso is wider at the expense of being smaller in the other dimensions.

How does the cook top accessory for the Olso look after a bit of use? Does it just end up rusty?

Is the stainless secondary burner of the T5 a significant advantage over the Olso's?

These two stoves are similarly priced at my dealer and I love them both. My decision is coming down to small details!

Thanks so much!

Hi, new here and just looking to discuss some specific questions. I've absorbed a lot of info reading the forums here, thanks!

Regarding the limited dimensions of the T5 firebox: In deciding between the Olso and the T5, I'm worried about the 18" length limit of the T5. Generally, with purchased split wood, do you folks have trouble with splits being too long? Do most splits fit NS and EW? The fire box looks so much smaller than the Olso, although I realize the Olso is wider at the expense of being smaller in the other dimensions.

How does the cook top accessory for the Olso look after a bit of use? Does it just end up rusty?

Is the stainless secondary burner of the T5 a significant advantage over the Olso's?

These two stoves are similarly priced at my dealer and I love them both. My decision is coming down to small details!

Thanks so much!
By T5 I assume you mean the Pacific Alderlea T5. This looks like a squarer stove than the Oslo, which I have. It would probably work better than the Oslo to load N/S. I can only get short (maybe12") pices in N/S. I do have the side door though which is a big plus. Secondary burn must be similar in both stoves as emission rates are virtually the same.

They are quite different stoves. The T5 can be loaded N/S or E/W and has a unique air control to extend the burn by proportionately throttling the secondary air. The Oslo is primarily a side loader which makes it not the best for corner installations. The Alderlea stoves are jacketed and convective, emitting a soft heat from the sides and top. This is more like the Rangeley series. The Oslo is a radiant stove. Both are good heaters, but with several different design features, the stainless steel baffle system being one of them. The Oslo's firebox is slightly larger, falling in between the T5 and T6. I like the fit and finish on the Oslo better. In blue-black enamel it is a real good looker. That said, I couldn't install it in our corner installation, but the closer clearance Alderlea T6 is doing the job well.

How large an area are you trying to heat with the stove?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to heat my 1400 ranch home. I have a good 20" insulation blanket in the attic, 2x4 walls and fairly tight windows. From what I've read here on the forums, the T5 will probably give me longer overnight burns, which is very appealing. My wife and I both give a slight edge to the Olso in the looks department. I am going to use a corner installation so I'd have to bolt the Olso side door closed. Overall, I'm pretty sure the T5 is the better stove for me. For some reason though, the fire box just looks really small next to the Olso's and I'm having trouble getting past that. I guess they are just a different shape with the T5 being deep front to back and narrow side to side. One of the reasons I'm posting is to get reassurance that standard split wood will fit in the T5 with no issues.

By T5 I assume you mean the Pacific Alderlea T5. This looks like a squarer stove than the Oslo, which I have. It would probably work better than the Oslo to load N/S. I can only get short (maybe12") pices in N/S. I do have the side door though which is a big plus. Secondary burn must be similar in both stoves as emission rates are virtually the same.

I wouldn't be able to side load the Olso since it will be installed in the corner (will have to put the bolt kit on it.) Is the front door large enough to load it up with no problems, or would that be a drawback? Thanks!

According to the reports here, most Oslo owners clearly prefer side-loading and use the front door only for cleaning the ashes. If you could not use the side-door I would suggest going with the T5.

Love my Oslo . . . but if you don't use the side door you really should get the other stove . . . most folks with the Oslo find that it really works best as a side loader.

Truthfully, I think you would be happy with either stove. Almost bought a PE myself.

Why are you not supposed to use the side door with a corner install with the Oslo? I have measured the corner where I plan to install my Oslo, and there is plenty of room to use the side door.

I wouldn't be able to side load the Olso since it will be installed in the corner (will have to put the bolt kit on it.) Is the front door large enough to load it up with no problems, or would that be a drawback? Thanks!
You can use the front door as well. Most prefer the side door because you tend to get more ash spillage and potential smoke spillage opening the front door. The front door os plenty large for loading though.

Why are you not supposed to use the side door with a corner install with the Oslo? I have measured the corner where I plan to install my Oslo, and there is plenty of room to use the side door.
It's a clearance issue. If the side door is far enough away from the wall at its closest point you probably can use it. In a normal corner or alcove install, not enough room. The manual (viewable online) gives all the needed clearances.

Hmm. The dealer was the one who told me this. I was measuring today and if I went with the minimum clearances with the rear heat shield and double wall stove pipe it did look too close to the wall to use. The dealer said he could not give me an inspection certificate saying it was properly installed that way, but again, I'm shooting for the minimums. Is that what you are doing too or are you placing it further from the walls than I am?

For the random split over 18", I'm sure you'll figure out a way to sneak it in the T5 and still keep it off the glass. I too, was worried about the firebox depth only being 18". Hasn't been an issue for me yet. Also, I haven't tried laying splits E/W.
For what its worth, I'm very impressed with my initial runs on the T5. I didn't find a whole lot of feedback posts here about it, but started reading on the PE Super 27 (same firebox) and found everything I needed.
Maybe somebody else with a Super 27 or T5 can comment on actual length of split you can fit in there. What length did you cut your wood stash to?

For the random split over 18", I'm sure you'll figure out a way to sneak it in the T5 and still keep it off the glass. I too, was worried about the firebox depth only being 18". Hasn't been an issue for me yet. Also, I haven't tried laying splits E/W.
For what its worth, I'm very impressed with my initial runs on the T5. I didn't find a whole lot of feedback posts here about it, but started reading on the PE Super 27 (same firebox) and found everything I needed.
Maybe somebody else with a Super 27 or T5 can comment on actual length of split you can fit in there. What length did you cut your wood stash to?

Thanks for the tip about the PE super 27! I haven't cut wood yet, I'm new to wood burning. I'll buy some seasoned wood for this year.

You can fit in about 19" N-S if you don't mind that the glass gets a bit black. 23" diagonally is about the max. Those longer pieces I use in the shoulder season and during startup fires when I don't need to pack the box full.

We aim to cut our wood about 14" so we can load EW. I can also load it up full NS with a layer EW at the back. Easy to do if you cut your own, not recommended if purchasing.

I don't think I'd let split length determine my choice in stoves. Around here, 16-18" it's pretty standard, unless you order it longer. Most sellers cut it when you order out anyway <>

Status
Not open for further replies.