New Member..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IamGregH

Sep 28, 2014
Rhode Island
Hi All just wanted to share some pics of my setup I have been lurking on these forums for a week or so getting all sorts of useful information. I just got some wood stacked and took some pics. I have not lit the Quad off yet but it's coming soon,, nights are getting colder here in the North East though it was beautiful today.

This is freshly delivered wood but it looks pretty good. I have about a half cord from last year as well. The stove is a 1999 Quadrafire 3100 Steptop (I've only lived in the house since 2007) .

Built the wood racks in the last few days, thinking about stain/painting them

Keeps the house real warm.

I need to get up on the roof and look at the chimney, I have a brush and pole set, so depending on how it looks I may end up calling someone to give it a good once over.

Look forward to interacting with you all.
P1040726.jpg P1040729.jpg P1040732.jpg

Welcome Greg. I see you too are married to a purple lady.

The wood doesn't show much checking. It would be good to resplit a couple of the splits and test for moisture on the freshly exposed surface of wood. If you don't have a meter, place it up against your cheek. If it feels cool and damp, it is.

Where in Rhody are ya? Welcome. I'm a portsmouth guy. There are a few of RIers around here.

Nice a fellow islander! Let me know if I can be of any help.

You better test the moisture level in your wood. You want to split one or two pieces and see what the moisture reading is inside each piece....20% or less is definitely preferred but I have gotten by with wood just under 25% (not preferred). Getting two to three years ahead in wood will make your life with the woodstove so much easier.

Very good looking wood stove install, and nice looking wood piles.
Why don't you put a roof on your wood pile? A piece of 26 inch roofing tin.

Yeah some doesn't look too well seasoned. But some is nicely checked. So I will check it when I can get my hands on a maul and a meter. Thanks for reply's all!

A little tip on that wood to help it dry a little faster: leave a bit more space for airflow between rows, and between the stack and the house. I used to stack three rows tight together, and the middle row would always have some moisture, so now I single-stack with at least a foot between. (And when covering, cover top only, not sides.)

Welcome to the forums!

If possible, I would move that wood away from the house. It will attract many critters and bugs including termites. I keep my wood as far away from the house as possible. In the Fall I move it all to the wood shed which is still about 50 feet away.

Attachments

• 1016131140.jpg
    1016131140.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 0920141001.jpg
    0920141001.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 71
Status
Not open for further replies.