• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigr

Jan 9, 2009
WV
Just registered, I have been hanging around for a while. I have been burning wood for about 20 yrs. I read here and learn something every day. Have a Hitzer 983 insert set up free standing. Looking to buy something new big and efficient with a long burn. Probably a project for end of season. Need to heat about 3000 sq.ft. I will sit back and learn. Thanks in advance for helping. Richard

Welcome. That's a lot of space to heat. Think big. Rick

are you looking to stay with coal? if so , and if you liked theHitzer, look em up again , they had some really impressive stoves down in atlanta at the last HPBA show. nice group of people as well.

Welcome to the nuthouse!

Thanks for the replies. I have never burned coal in it. Just found out recently it is a coal stove. It however burns wood fairly well. Its in my parents house and they bought it about 20 years ago under the assumption it was a wood stove. it functions OK but I have never been thrilled with it. I think I am trying to use it for something it was not intended to do. Richard

For inexpensive, take a look at the Englander 30NC. It's made in VA, not too far away. If you want the longest burn, then perhaps look at a Blaze King, King stove. It will need an 8" flue, but has a huge firebox and with the catalytic convertor, it can provide long, efficient burns.

I think if you tried burning coal in it, you might find you like it better. I'm late coming to this discussion, so you've probably already gotten something else by now.

This will be my first winter trying my hand at a woodstove, so i'll see how i do. I know how to do the coal thing, a few minutes a day and i'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.