New member's random thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dj2cohen

Feb 28, 2008
Southeast West Virginia
Hi all,

I've been lurking and learning here for a few days now and I am impressed. I grew up with wood heat and still use it faithfully.

A year ago, I ran across a Century Hearth 300010 with blower at Lowes on the end of season clearance. I picking it up for about $225. I thought that I had made out like a bandit until I started using it. Don't get me wrong, it produces some great heat, but nothing compared to my Federal Airtight FA288CCL. I never realized what a difference a cat makes.

My dad was a firm believer in the barrel conversion stoves with the second barrel on top acting as a radiator. I built another one several years back and used it where the Century is sitting now. I know that the barrels are inefficient as they get, but there is no comparison for heat output.

BTW, the century is in a 24' x 48' block basement not exposed. I only run it now to take the chill off of the basement. I do not get a burn time past about 3 hours.

I guess that's what I get for jumping on a "good deal" without lots and lots of research.

Thanks for reading this far.

Just my random dribble,

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.