New Miramichi Pellet Plant to Switch Gears- Make Black Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete324rocket

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2007
albert county, new brunswick
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/search/article/1411722

European energy giant wants proposed Miramichi plant to produce black pellets

MIRAMICHI - The construction of a proposed pellet plant in Miramichi is a little behind schedule, as plans for the facility have been tweaked in order to make way for what could be an exciting new technology.

Roughly one year ago the Northumberland County Woodlot Owners Association announced it had entered into a partnership with one of Europe's most powerful energy conglomerates to develop the plant near the association's office in Newcastle.

And although the initial projections to have the pellet plant built and in production by the end of this year have all but fallen through, the association's executive director Kevin Forgrave says that the project is still very much a go.

Forgrave said that Swedish energy mega power Vatenfall AB are still on board with the project, and noted that the delays can be summed up in two points: the project is still awaiting a decision on a Crown wood allocation from the provincial government, and the eventual product the plant will be churning out has changed.

Where the initial plan announced last April called for the construction of a typical wood pellet plant that produces the pellets you'd normally see in pellet stoves all around the province, the new objective is calling for a new type of pellet that you've probably never seen or heard of before.

Black pellets are a new technology that Vatenfall has been exploring in other jurisdictions, including British Columbia, and it's a product that is in high-demand in Europe to fuel coal-fired power plants, making them more Earth friendly.

"There are various technologies used to develop these black pellets, and what they do is change the characteristics of your wood, creating what's called green coal, and what happens is coal fired power plants are able to feed it in their system the same way they do coal," Forgrave said.

"So the plants, basically, don't need any major retrofitting - the technology is new and therefore it requires ample testing and setup."

Black pellets are created through a process that essentially chars wood into a charcoal-like substance, theoretically replacing coal with what a more environmentally friendly energy source made up almost entirely of biomass and waste wood.

Forgrave said he's confident that this black pellet technology, though new, is being spearheaded by the right people in Vatenfall.

He also added that although the pellet plant requires a small Crown wood allocation, the development will rely heavily on forestry byproducts, which provides a local market for sawmills to unload the undesirable parts of the trees they cut to an entity that will put them to good use.

Forgrave said he's extremely hopeful the Weyerhaeuser oriented strandboard and the former Atcon plywood mill are purchased and brought back into production, as the presence of those two mills could greatly contribute to the successes of the proposed black pellet plant.

"Those mills both produce byproducts, and a close local market would be very much a help to those products," Forgrave said.

"You can have a good fit here and help restore some of the forestry sector in the Miramichi area - once the Crown allocation is in place, I think it's relatively quick steps for everything else."

Speaking to the Times & Transcript, Miramichi director of economic development Jeff MacTavish said that the change in what the potential plant would ultimately be producing is an exciting development.

MacTavish added that the revelation of this so-called "green coal" made from black pellets could potentially be a solution to domestic power generation issues.

"If you look at what they're doing in Ontario right now, with the closure of all the coal plants, they're going to need one of two things: a replacement fuel or an alternative source of energy to balance off what wind produces, because wind produces a different type of energy than your base load power plants," MacTavish said.

"And what Kevin and those guys are proposing could be an answer to all of those issues."

The pellet mill aims to employ about 30 direct workers and create somewhere between 200 and 400 indirect jobs in the forestry sector, with a goal to produce around 200,000 tonnes of black pellet output each year.

That plan would be contingent on a modest Crown allocation, along with supply from private woodlot owners, and mill byproducts.

Forgrave said he's hopeful that the Department of Natural Resources sees the value of this project, and the importance of a Crown wood allocation to make it happen.

Hope it works out for all involved, eh?

I dont know, your taking biomass, using energy to essentially remove some of the energy from the biomass and passing it on. I dont read more than 4 or 5 lines of a post. Maybe if they harness the energy released from the wood when making it coal..and used that energy to power a stripper pole manufacturing facility...

charcoal pellets. must burn off alot of the impurities in the process. might be a good thing. let the mfg plant take the clinkers!

Upon reading about the "black pellets", I think they are made of torrified wood. These pellets would be a much better product than straight biomass pellets for several reasons. One is that they could be stored in a more moist environment because they would not absorb water, another is that they would have a much higher Btu rating (something like 11,000 to 13,000 Btu/lb) so shipping would be cut some. The price would be higher because of the increased cost to manufacture, but there would probably be the advantage of no creosote, because the volitiles are already removed from the wood. Overall, we might not get a reduced cost to heat (not necessarily higher either), but the year's supply would take up less room and we wouldn't have to fill the hopper as often. Some air adjustments or fan sizes might have to be modified. I think I'll like these pellets if they are offered for sale.

We have a local guy making biochar from grass pellets. He is using waste wood to burn to heat the grass pellets making char from them. He also claims we pellet burners could make our own char buy burning some grass pellets to heat the house and make the char while doing it(some type of vessel in the pellet stove). We could sell the char off for profit and heat our house for free. Biochar is popular for gardening and is expensive to purchase.

http://en.wiki.org/wiki/Biochar

The only problem I see with them is they are pretty messy. They leave a black residue on your hands when handled. I assume they will also leave residue in your hopper.

I have not raised enough courage to burn any yet. If some one tries them please report. Them's alot of btu's! I don't think I would need to burn the stove past the 2 setting all season with that amount of input BTU's to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.