New moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eisele

Mar 21, 2009
South Jersey
Today my father and I went and picked up a moisture meter to check out how dry the wood we had from this year to last and 2 years ago and were surpised with the results. This years wood was at 36 to 40 percent which i figured was pretty much correct then tested last years oak and it ranged from 16 to 22 percent and finally 2 year wood was from 12 to 20 percent. I was happy with the one year seosoned wood and made sure we tested a few different species from oak to sassafras and cherry. I figured the little money I payed for the meter was worth it. now I can relax when I am only one year ahead of the game but in reallity I am more like 3.

Eisele said:
Today my father and I went and picked up a moisture meter to check out how dry the wood we had from this year to last and 2 years ago and were surpised with the results. This years wood was at 36 to 40 percent which i figured was pretty much correct then tested last years oak and it ranged from 16 to 22 percent and finally 2 year wood was from 12 to 20 percent. I was happy with the one year seosoned wood and made sure we tested a few different species from oak to sassafras and cherry. I figured the little money I payed for the meter was worth it. now I can relax when I am only one year ahead of the game but in reallity I am more like 3.

I agree. I use mine all the time. But make sure you take several readings inside each freshly-split piece at max depth. If not used properly, it's very easy for the meter to underestimate the moisture content. It will however never overestimate the moisture.

You might also want to set aside a small block of kiln-dried lumber, to use as standard reference, though it's moisture will change a bit with the seasons.

My wife bought me one for my birthday; from Amazon.

It comes in really handy. It's our first year burning, so it's good to know what wood is ready and what wood isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.