New moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt1

Nov 8, 2009
Central, Ok.
Well I bought a new moisture meter at Lowes today because I wasn't sure if all my wood would be ready. The meter is the General Tools # MMD4E.I checked a stack of oak that was cut,split and stacked in a barn early 2010, it checked 8-10 % moisture. The second stack was pecan fron a large blow down, which was c,s,s the end of may stacked on concrete full sun and wind the drought conditions we had this summer with over 60 days of 100+ temps and very low humidity,this stack ranged from a low of 8% - a high of 12% moisture,mostly around 10%. Lastly I checked a stack of oak that was cut in march and left laying on the ground until aug. when it was split and piled on the ground and it checked about 20% moisture. all of the splits that were checked were split and checked on the fresh split.

Your numbers seem a little low. Maybe ok. has different oak than NJ, but Ive never seen oak at 8% unless it was molding. Touch the probes to your palm. You should get around 30%. Its a good check.

Palm check was about 34%, we had a lot of days of 110-115 degree heat with humidity under 20% this summer. some local lakes have boats tied up in slips sitting on dry ground (not in mud).

Wow, thats some dry oak!

M said:
Palm check was about 34%, we had a lot of days of 110-115 degree heat with humidity under 20% this summer. some local lakes have boats tied up in slips sitting on dry ground (not in mud).

Your meter reading 34% on your palm is quite normal, and a good indication that your meter is working perfectly. I see no reason to doubt your wood. In most climates it would be impossible to get your wood that low, but at 20% RH wood can get as low as 6% given sufficient time. As well, temps that high would speed up drying immensely. Not a typical scenario, but believable in those extreme weather conditions.

oldspark said:
csierotnik said:
how much did you pay for the mm?
Has nothing to do with it, my cheapeie works great.

It's an honest question.

oldspark said:
That was checked on a fresh split or cut?

from the original post:
all of the splits that were checked were split and checked on the fresh split.

pen

Yep I missed it in my first reading, honest question about the MM cost, I suppose but I have the cheapest one there is and it works fine so honest but relevent? His reading seem a little low to me also, I have 2 year old dead Oak when cut at 17% but maybe it is the conditions where he lives.

The Lowes "General" moisture meter typically runs about $30. I have one and it does the job. My only question regarding method to make sure you put the probes in line with the grain of the wood, not perpendicular.

I totally believe the OP's wood could be this dry after a relatively short period. He's pretty much in the same boat I am regarding temps, though I suspect he's had a lot more rain than we've had in South Central Texas. We've had over 100 days of temps well up into the 100s. Lot's of days of 105 to 110. We were having 90 degree days in early spring. In fact, I was splitting some wood in February and it was 95 that day. I have about two cords of water oak and pin oak that were cut and split anywhere from seven to ten months ago. Back in early September they were all showing 16% to 20%. The drought and extreme heat accelerated the drying process significantly- at least a year!

I need to pay more attention, I see he is in OK so my Iowa wood is not going to be the same.

The MM cost $30.00 + tax, the readings were taken on a piece of wood freshley split. I also checked the outside of the split (original split) and some ends and came up with 5.5% just for fun. This wood sat on a bald hill in full sun on a cement slab with a dry southern wind and humidity 20% and less many days, amd we were with out rain all summer,as I remenber. I only mowed grass 3 times,and that was just some spots of weeds,and where I watered around the house foundation. Unusually dry,according to the weather people we were dryer this year than the dust bowl days.

For what its worth I was only asking the price of the mm because I am looking to buy one, not because I was questioning its accuracy. Sorry for the confusion.

M said:
Unusually dry,according to the weather people we were dryer this year than the dust bowl days.

Oh, geez, I hope you guys aren't going to start showing up in California again like y'all did back in the 30s. ;-P

I too live in OK. I don't have a moisture meter but I do have quite a bit of wood that I cut late last winter up until about february this year. all white oak or burr oak i believe. It was all cut down to 15" length and split so my wife could easily handle it. I stacked between trees and wherever I could. I went down yesterday and thumped a couple splits together and they sounded dry to the bone. I think we had over 60 days of 100+ temps. Most of those were in the 110-115 range. And over 100 days over 95 degrees. With the oklahoma wind I think it really dried the wood out quick. I have a few stacks that I cut fresh in May and June. Even it is relatively dry. Including the 2 snow storms in january and february I think I've had 11" of precip since june of 2010. Vegas has had more rain.

I put my infrared thermometer on the ends of my splits during the 100+ °F days this past summer. Read 130+ °F every time I checked. It was a furnace in Missouri on the 38th parallel. I have burned some of the oak and hickory CSS in May/June 2011. Easy to light and burns without any difficulty. Quite a summer for seasoning wood.

I'm in Oklahoma too.... The high temps this summer no doubt had a play in the drying time, but let's not undermine the effect of drought on the moisture content of living trees. These trees have had no water to move up the Xylem. I've been cutting oak this summer and it's like cutting dry wood. Chains don't stay sharp long. --Bri

Status
Not open for further replies.