New Montpelier wood insert installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TECH 9

Aug 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Just had Montpelier wood insert installed. There is a 6in stainless steel liner and is capped at the top of the chimney. Is this the same idea as a chimney plate. The installer said the cap would stop any air from entering the chimney cavity. Is this done right or is this cutting corners? From what I have seen the chimney plate is usually where the flu is? Also does the insert and surround need to be sealed airtight around it or is that why there is a chimney plate to stop drafts? Any advice would be appreciated. Had the 1st fire to cure the paint .... stinky but looked awesome. A little browning on the hinge side of window but glass was mainly clear after the fire burnt down. So far so good!!!

so is there a block off plate at the top? if so, then in theory it should hold out any cold air, but a plate, and or insy should be installed in the damper area to further prevent such an issue.

What summit said. Yes, you should also block off and/or insulate above the stove at the old damper area to ensure a dead air space in the chimney and heat not going up it. No, you do not need or really want to seal the insert or surround. I plan to remove the surround at the end or beginning of the heating season or both just to check on the flue connection. (I already have.)

I also have a Montpelier. Used it for a month or month and a half at the end of last season. VC is not well received by most but I like mine. I have well seasoned wood. The stove burns well and once started, the primary air is closed all the way within about a half hour. Vigorous secondary burn, clean glass, lots of heat, etc. I figure I'll stay out of the friendly and constructive arguments on VC here until I have a full season under my belt. Also, I have never burned any other modern stove, so I simply may think my Montpelier is good because I don't know any better. But so far, I'm very happy with it.

Steve

most people who have bought a montpelier thru our shop likes the insert.. big glass, small louvers, nice looking surrounds, strong fan. easy install w/ the wheels and removeable flue outlet.. but, yes: insulate the damper to achieve the stove zen of which you speak.

I have had mine threw last year and loved it! My wife thought I was crazy when I installed it but soon fell in love. When I get home she always asks for me to make a fire. I used to burn 650 gals of oil now I burn maybe 150! (2 story insulated 3 bedroom tudor insulated old windows)

My only advice is to have really good seasoned wood and keep your splits smaller than 4" for more heat!

I do have some cracks in the brick liner but this is said to be normal! I have seen it in prefab fireplace so it sounds true! I would have liked the insert better if it had standard fire brick but I guess they were trying to acheve a certain look! Most of the complaits about the insert are from people inexperance and unseasoned wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.