New Motor for little splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

byQ

Minister of Fire
May 12, 2013
Idaho
The Briggs and Stratton 3.5 HP motor on my little splitter has started smoking badly - and I guess I need to replace it. Here it is,
splitter 003.JPG splitter 002.JPG

splitter 004.JPG

Can I replace this 3.5 HP with a Harbor Freight 6.5 HP motor? How do I do this? Just pull off the old motor and then figure out how to mount the new motor? For a small splitter this unit has been pretty tough.

Not sure what harbor freight is asking, but this might be a direct replacement, if the shaft matches http://www.amazon.com/93432-0192-Industrial-Muffler-Briggs-Stratton/dp/B0043SE07E/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1432855872&sr=8-16&keywords=3.5 hp horizontal shaft engine

same motor, different site with more info on it http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/93432-0192.html

EDIT: here's another site that might be helpful in helping you match your engine to what might currently be available for a bolt up swap. http://www.psep.biz/store/briggs_and_stratton_3_5hp_-_7_5hp_hor_.htm

Last edited:
As Pen states - shaft size it the important part of this swap. If you don't get the same size of output shaft you will need a properly sized replacement for that half (motor half) of the lovejoy. Outside of that, this should be an easy fit and the HF Chondas have pretty good reviews.

As Pen states - shaft size it the important part of this swap. If you don't get the same size of output shaft you will need a properly sized replacement for that half (motor half) of the lovejoy. Outside of that, this should be an easy fit and the HF Chondas have pretty good reviews.

I like the idea of replacing a 3.5 hp with a 6.5 hp. Do you think I will run into any problems due to the bigger engine (more power on the components)? The splitter is small but seems pretty stout. I think it would be fun to soup up the lil' Brave.

Shouldn't be a problem. All run around 3,400 rpm. I replaced the five horse Briggs on my splitter with the HF 6.5 and it has worked like a champ for years now. Shaft was longer so I just used longer bolts for a stand-off on the pump. Three buck fix.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll pull the little engine and inspect the shaft and compare it to the HF motor.

Why is it smoking? Might be much easier and less expensive to rebuild. Maybe not. Just saying.

I've run, on average, about 15 cords per year for 5 or 6 years through this little splitter. With 20 % of that being red elm. I noticed the smoking when a tough piece of wood was being cut. (It didn't smoke at all before this). When the splitting part had the most resistance it started smoking.

But as soon as it cleared this resistance it stopped smoking. It got worse to the point of smoking with no resistance so I shut it down. The smoking issue only lasted for about 20 minutes before shut down. I figured the rings were toast. It could probably be rebuilt. It was a good little motor - very dependable and predictable. Ironically, I had a new DHT 22 ton splitter in the wings. But I still used the small splitter until I had no choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackGreyhounds
I just picked up a harbor freight 6.5hp a couple days ago. Got it for $95 plus tax. Its my second one. I have one on my splitter and one on a go kart. Both have been fantastic. No problems at all. Lots of power and really good fuel economy.

Back in like 2006 or so I bought mine and bought two for $96 because I figured they might be crap. The first one is still on the splitter and the other one is still in the box on a shelf in the garage waiting.

I like the idea of replacing a 3.5 hp with a 6.5 hp. Do you think I will run into any problems due to the bigger engine (more power on the components)? The splitter is small but seems pretty stout. I think it would be fun to soup up the lil' Brave.

shouldn't be a problem your running the same pump same rpm ect . its not gonna make more pressure. just wont bog down as much in the knotty stuff. my splitter runs a 14.5 hp with a 16 gpm pump that will run off an 8 hp. I just run it at like 1/4 throttle and it doesn't even grunt.

Is the engine going through oil like crazy? I'm just wondering if it's a carb issue and not the motor.

If it's not chewing through oil, then maybe when the throttle pulls in with the governor under load, it's running too rich, and that's the smoke?

Just a thought before you tear things down and saying this as I used a rented splitter in high school that literally went through 1/2 as much oil as I put through it in a day, and that sucker still ran like a champ, but had to deal with the puddle of oil under it and thick blue smoke....

If the smoke you are seeing is black, and you aren't dealing with having to add oil every tank full, then I'm wondering if there is a simpler solution.

Good luck

The BS engine on my old Speeco splitter emitted enough fumes from burning oil that I replaced it with a Honda last fall. Shaft size is critical, but also important is the physical configuration of the new engine. In my case the Honda was a little wider than the old engine, and just barely cleared the wheel. Works, but another 1/4" would have been problematical.

Status
Not open for further replies.