New MS 362

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jager

When I bought my log splitter last weekend, part of the reason I didn't buy a more expensive model - particularly that Iron and Oak that I really wanted - was because I knew I also wanted to augment my old MS 250 with something with a little bit more grunt. After several of hours of fun "work," I'm absolutely delighted with my Huskee. No worries there.

I expect to be every bit as happy with what I picked up this weekend... ;-)

Old and new:

twin_stihls.jpg

A virgin blade:

stihl_ms362.jpg

MS 362:

stihl_ms362_2nd.jpg

Very nice Jager! I too have a MS250 and MS362 except I got a 25" bar for my 362.

Attachments

• blade.jpg
    blade.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 723
Nice saw, should cut 100's of cords.

dang, I want one of those!

From the look of the chain on the 250 and the dust caked onto it, I'd offer that the next investment you might look at is files, file guide, and studying how to use them. $30 buys you a really good file guide that clamps onto the bar.

IME the neatsiest, niftiest new saw is a high-priced piece of junk if the chain is dull. A full-chisel chain can go dull like a snap-action switch.

Keep an eye on the chips the saw is spitting out. When they turn to dust, stop cutting. Then, when the chain goes loose like that, it's diagnostic, AND a danger in that it's about to be tossed. Maybe at you- not good.

Once you get good at filing, and learn to give the cutters a few strokes every couple of tankfuls, depending, you'll be amazed at how much ANY saw can cut per hour/day. Then too, a dull chain is much more dangerous than a sharp one, not only to the saw; think kickback.

CTYank said:
Then, when the chain goes loose like that, it's diagnostic, AND a danger in that it's about to be tossed..
I think that loose chain was staged deliberately to give an artistic impression of old and tired. I can't imagine anyone actually using a saw with the chain that loose.

Do all new Stihl "white handle" saws ship with green chain now or is that just in the USA?

LLigetfa said:
CTYank said:
Then, when the chain goes loose like that, it's diagnostic, AND a danger in that it's about to be tossed..
I think that loose chain was staged deliberately to give an artistic impression of old and tired. I can't imagine anyone actually using a saw with the chain that loose.

Do all new Stihl "white handle" saws ship with green chain now or is that just in the USA?
probably because of that stupid tool-less adjuster.

re: green chains. I noticed that the other day with ALL of the saws sitting at my dealership. even the 441 sitting inside of the case. Maybe it's because they don't want a customer making a boo-boo while examining the saw. If I ever buy a new saw you can bet they will be swapping out that green garbage for something with a big warning label on the box.

Danno77 said:
LLigetfa said:
CTYank said:

probably because of that stupid tool-less adjuster.

re: green chains. I noticed that the other day with ALL of the saws sitting at my dealership. even the 441 sitting inside of the case. Maybe it's because they don't want a customer making a boo-boo while examining the saw. If I ever buy a new saw you can bet they will be swapping out that green garbage for something with a big warning label on the box.

Its a rule of some sort. Every saw I have bought came with one. Other than the 880 it was rsc full comp 41 inchs.

If you all haven't seen it, check out the Stihl Chainsaw Comparison Chart and look in the "Recommended Saw Chain" column. They are all green low kickback chains except the rescue saw. I think the lawyers said that if you have low kickback chain you need to CYA and "recommend" it.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/comparison.html

For those not familiar with Stihl's chain model numbers, any new chain with a "3" AFTER the letters is a "low kickback" chain.

Both my store bought saws (361 & 250) came with normal chain. I have personally not seen a safety chain, but I am sure they are in Canada, maybe just not in Alberta?

My 361 did not come with a safety chain either...then again, that was a few years ago....things may have changed.

Actually now that I think about it, the dealer basically said pick whatever chain I wanted from his supply (after I picked my ES bar).

my ms362 has a yellow link on it and the chain they threw in has the yellow on the box.

Most of the pro saws switched to "green" chains when Stihl came out with the RSC3 to replace the RM2. RSC3 is nowhere near as intolerable as RM2 was.

what is the approximate street price for the 362?

artmos said:
what is the approximate street price for the 362?

Essentially, there is no street price.

Every Stihl dealer I've been to doesn't stray from the suggested retail price, which is visible on the Stihl website if you enter your zipcode. Around here, that's $669-699 (depending on bar length). You are, however, likely to get a "free" item thrown in with purchase (2-cycle oil, extra chain, saw case, hat, et al.).

When I was shopping for my new 460 a few months ago, all the 441,460, or 660's that I was looking at had yellow chain with es bars.

Congrats on the new saw jager! :)

MasterMech said:
Most of the pro saws switched to "green" chains when Stihl came out with the RSC3 to replace the RM2. RSC3 is nowhere near as intolerable as RM2 was.

I thought RMC3 replaced RM2?

I agree--RSC3 isn't so far off from RSC.

TreePointer said:
MasterMech said:

I thought RMC3 replaced RM2?

I agree--RSC3 isn't so far off from RSC.

RMC3 is closer to RM2 as they both are semi-chisel chain with green-label qualifications but IIRC RSC3 was introduced first for 3/8" pitch chain and RMC3 was introduced as .325 before both varieties became available in both pitches.

MasterMech said:
RMC3 is closer to RM2 as they both are semi-chisel chain with green-label qualifications but IIRC RSC3 was introduced first for 3/8" pitch chain and RMC3 was introduced as .325 before both varieties became available in both pitches.

Ah, I see.

I'll also offer that RMC3 is intolerable in .325. Well, at least when compared to .325 RSC on an MS290 w/20" bar.

I wonder if the cutting efficiency of chisel chain over chipper chain is making the difference? Full-Chisel RSC should require less power to drag through the wood. I'd like to try a comparison of RMC vs. RSC (Both are yellow label) on that saw.

Good experiment.

The only semi-chisel loops I have right now are .325 RMC3. I cut with RSC (yellow) on all my saws, regardless of pitch (or manufacturer for that matter).

For that 290, I can say that the chips are bigger and the cuts are faster when using RSC as opposed to RMC3.

Status
Not open for further replies.