New Mt Vernon burn pot and two burned out igniters so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGISLANDHIKERS

Feeling the Heat
Sep 12, 2007
Last fall I installed the new burn pot that is supposed to help with igniter burnout. I have burned out two so far. The last one survived only 3 months and was replaced with the 90 day warranty.
The new igniter is the lower watt version just for pellets.

With a stove that restarts every few hours what did Quad expect to happen?

BIH

Last fall I installed the new burn pot that is supposed to help with igniter burnout. I have burned out two so far. The last one survived only 3 months and was replaced with the 90 day warranty.
The new igniter is the lower watt version just for pellets.

With a stove that restarts every few hours what did Quad expect to happen?

BIH

I have the upgraded burnpots in both my stoves.My 2007 model has the same ignitor since the burnpot was upgraded(2yrs ago).My newer stove 2009 model,I have replaced the ignitor 2 times.The 2nd one I put in I had the washer on the wrong side,I think may have shortened the lifetime on. I'ts important to put the washer on the right side of the ignitor, so you get the proper airflow to light the pellets.I can't figure out how I can get 2yrs+ on 1 ignitor and only get a year on the other.I think I'm gonna have the dealer come and change fuel table settings, equal to the older stove and see what happens then.

Some have suggested improper installation of ignitor or different venting configurations can kill the ignitors prematurely.

Why do some last longer than others?

Do you run the stove in auto or manual mode?

Do you run the stove in auto or manual mode?
I run my stoves in manual mode.Here's the difference,The 2007 stove is vented out then runs 7' verticle.The 2009 stove is a direct vent out.I don't know whether this could be a factor on ignitor longevity or a fuel table difference.

I run mine in auto and set the thermostat kinda high (78). This causes the stove run in low as it gets closer to the target temperature, leading to it just idling around 74 without the constant cycling on and off. Since the stove isn't constantly relighting, it should help ignitor life quite a bit.

In manual, it'll run at the selected heat output level until it satisfies the thermostat. I can see this causing alot of cycling and wear on the ignitor. So, if you have it on high, medium high, or whatever it'll kick on and crank out the heat until it trips the thermostat, shut down, and repeat the cycle.

I run mine in auto and set the thermostat kinda high (78). This causes the stove run in low as it gets closer to the target temperature, leading to it just idling around 74 without the constant cycling on and off. Since the stove isn't constantly relighting, it should help ignitor life quite a bit.

I run mine in a similar fashion. Typical ignitor life is 3 seasons. pellets only.

Quad has a new "lower voltage" ignitor if you are just buring pellets. Knock on wood only issue was a clogged auger and I might have cleaned the stove twice or three times this season. I am a bad pellet stove owner, all my dealers fault.

Eric

Quad has a new "lower voltage" ignitor if you are just buring pellets. Knock on wood only issue was a clogged auger and I might have cleaned the stove twice or three times this season. I am a bad pellet stove owner, all my dealers fault.

Eric
"lower wattage"

I use auto as well, and my ignitors last pretty long as well. A lot less on and off

I run mine in a similar fashion. Typical ignitor life is 3 seasons. pellets only.

Our Quad 1200i came with a spare ignitor. The stove always was run on a thermostat and probably cycled 20 times a day in cold weather. We sold the stove after 5 seasons with the original ignitor in and the spare never used.

The 1200 has an open coil with a similar construction like an electric stove burner, but tinier. This is seems like a much more reliable design than the metal encapsulated ignitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.