new MT. Vernon smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletguy

Sep 15, 2008
central maine
I just had a new Mt. Vernon AE installed and have been trying it out the last few days. There is a definate smoke smell in the room when it is on. I checked last night with a flash light and there was no smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. also none from the hopper. it is definately coming from the front/blower. I didnt know if there was anything to "check" myself before i call the dealer. They did not install an outside air kit, and i was thinking, is the stove not getting enough oxygen to burn strong? There is plenty of heat and the flame seems strong. any ideas?

my castile smoked quite ABIT ITS FROM THE HEAT TUBES oils and stuff i took a gun cleaning rod and a rag and cleaned out each one ,no more smoke

At this very moment I am burning my Quadrafire CB1200 really hot with a window open and a fan blowing out. I am hoping to kill the last of the smoke problems today...

As others have stated on this forum every time the stove hits a new high temperature it will smoke for a while...

I think you just need to give it some time and try to breathe as little as possible until it's better... ;-P

I am not talking about any small amount of smoke here either... I set off the smoke detector before it even got really warmed up... The sun shining in the window illuminating the smoke makes it look foggy in the room...

The installer told me to run the stove hot for a few hours with the windows/doors open to get rid of the grease etc. I ran it for 4 or 5 hours until the chemical/oil smell burned off. this smell certainly smells like wood smoke.
thanks for the quick reply.

I got my AE installed on Thursday, I did not smell to much smoke but I was painting in the next room with the windows open. I will try another burn tonight to see if we smell smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.