New old stove to me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfox1

Feb 10, 2014
www.facebook.com
I have been given this stove so that I can restore it and use it in my cabin. I need to replace the fire brick inside it, make it nice and black like it use to be like when I first saw it 30 years ago, and replace and find one leg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Also were can I find an oval adapter to hook this stove up to a chimney?
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Coal stove? Appears to be missing a shelf as well at the ash pan. Sandblasting may be the only way to get a good paint-able surface on it. What type/size of cabin are you heating?

Reactions: pen
Coal stove? Appears to be missing a shelf as well at the ash pan. Sandblasting may be the only way to get a good paint-able surface on it. What type/size of cabin are you heating?

The original owner told my dad 30+ years ago that it was a log stove. The cabin is just shy of 1000 sq feet and is 2x6 framed with alot of insultation in the walls.

Sandblasting is bo problem cause I have a nice sized cabinet I can put it in.

It looks SMALL! First sign of a coal stove...... What are the dimensions of the firebox? Do you have the doors?

I'm "guessing" you are north, like WI north? If so, and this is the soul source of heat for a cabin you are coming into cold, even in it's hay day and having good insulation, you are talking a good long while before you heat things up. How are you heating the place now?

For not so very much money, there are a lot of better options on the market that will get you warm quick and do the job without concerns related to health / insurance with a stove like this...... Making it pretty isn't the concern.

Tell us more about the cabin, how you use it, what type of fuel you are looking to burn here, and we can give you some good advice. But right now, with the appearance of missing doors/parts the best I can tell you is if you shine this up, it's for decoration.

Welcome to the site, and good luck.

pen

Yes I have the doors. I just opened them to make sure 3 of the 4 legs were there. I am in WV and I just wanna use the stove in case the power goes out. As of rite now the cabin is heated with 3 electric baseboard heaters. One in the kitchen and 1 in both the beadroom. All 3 set at 70 will roast you out. I just wanna have the heater there in case of power outages and it happen quite often since I am 2 mountains over from SnowShoe Ski Resort.

Definitely a coal stove. The pieces of wood will have to be so small that you will be feeding that bad boy every thirty minutes.

Well, if you have a heat source like electric, this sounds like a joint good enough to be insured. That said. For a back-up heat source, talk to the insurance company first and see if you need a stove in there that is UL approved.

Regardless, if you let us know more about where you want to put the unit, there are folks here who can help make sure you put in whatever stove safely,,,,, which is of course the main concern! There are limits of installation for non UL appliances such as this, but it has to be OK with your insurance first.

pen

Well since you all say that this one wont be efficient enough what would you all use. It doesnt need to be a big stove. I am only heating about 1000sq foot. It 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, kitchen/dinning room, and a small living room.

Well, if you have a heat source like electric, this sounds like a joint good enough to be insured. That said. For a back-up heat source, talk to the insurance company first and see if you need a stove in there that is UL approved.

Regardless, if you let us know more about where you want to put the unit, there are folks here who can help make sure you put in whatever stove safely,,,,, which is of course the main concern! There are limits of installation for non UL appliances such as this, but it has to be OK with your insurance first.

pen

I was planning on putting the stove in the kitchen/dinning room area. There is a nice open space between there and the living room

I am a wood stove junkie, but if the outages usually don't last too long a generator hefty enough to power a couple of the baseboards and a transfer switch might be a better answer than a new stove and the cost of chimney installation. Chimnies frequently costs more than the stove.

I love the distance measured by the number of mountains. In Texas we measured distance in six packs.

No matter what you choose, don't go with a boxwood stove! Other than that, there are options like the Englander 13 (or summers heat 13) or lots of others on the market meant for a smaller space that come in well under a grand.

Any stove installation needs to follow the requirements of the manufacturer, which for most stoves sold now isn't bad as most are UL approved (other than many boxwood types) and will do the job well.

Is your plan to use this stove even when the power is still on? Or only if it goes out? Installation requirements would be the same regardless, but for the best advice we need to know what you want. If the concern is only when power is out, then I'd tell you to invest in several 30-50lb propane tanks, and go that route with propane heaters.

If you plan on using it first is that a crack i see in the bottom casting? if so it is not useable. If that is not a crack then you need to find all of the missing parts if you can do that you then need to completly tear the stove down and reseal and gasket everything. Even then it is meant to burn coal not wood It will probably do that well but you need to make sure you have good working co alarms

The general rule is that anything with two sets of doors is a coal stove. The stove being small and drafting air from under the firebox also points at it being a coal stove. Now, as a coal stove it would work well heating a small home, especially a well insulated one. But as a wood stove it won't work so good. The general rule is that you can burn wood in a coal stove (you shouldn't though) but not coal in a wood stove, so many people think stoves like this are wood stoves when they really aren't. You are in WV so you should have coal readily available if you want to go that route. It's a beautiful old stove that would look amazing restored into working condition again, but it appears to be needing some parts recast to finish it off. With winter fast approaching I'd say your best bet it to get on Craigslist and find a different stove.

Reactions: bholler
Yea hit is a beautiful stove i would keep it for sure just probably not worth the effort and money to get it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.