New old truck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Billy

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Britton MI
For the last five years we have been doing all out hauling with Dad's V-6 F-150 automatic and bumper hitch. While its been a great truck it just can't do what we need it to do. With the equipment I have and trying to get started farming I've been needing a bigger truck. I am surprised the bumper hasn't pulled off Dad's little truck or burned out the trans. After my Dad passed my sister was mad that my brother and I titled it in out names but I will be giving it to her for a dollar.

As kids we always went to auctions with our Grandpa. And I still love going to auctions although I only go to one a year now. Grandpa taught us to look things over write down what we wanted to bid on and the most it was worth to us and stick to it. We would always laugh when someone would get caught up in the bid and pay more than it would cost new. Gramps I hope you were looking down on Tommy and I as we worked the auction. And had a good laugh! We got lots of good junk!

So last saturday Tommy and I went to big spring consignment auction. That we have been going to for the last five years. And its a big one starts at 8:30 am and never stops until after 5pm and has four auctioneers going at the same time all day. The have a lot of farm stuff and thats what I was looking for. I was looking at a combine with a grain and corn head. Also wanted some hay wagons, pto generator, field lime spreader. And some other stuff. I didn't get the combine. But I did get the 25kv generator two wagons and the lime spreader.

It wasn't on the listing but they also had a 1993 Ford Superduty dump truck. 1 ton dulley with the older 7.3l IDI non turbo diesel. 78,000 orginal miles new clutch and new front tires and good rear tires. My brother and I decided we would bid it up to 6500 and split the cost between us. It does have a few rust holes that need fixed and a paint job. But mechanically very sound. But I may have to change the ring and pinion. Or better yet find a two speed rear end. I drove it home after the auction and at 55 mph the engine is at 2500 rpm. There is no way this truck will do 70. And it will probably only get 8 to 12 mpg with that rear end.

The only other downfalls are that the licence plate is $491 a year. And the law is not clear if I own it as a personal vehicle whether I need a CDL and medical card or not. I do have a class A CDL. But I haven't had a MDOT physical and medical card for over 7 years as I don't drive truck on the road. And I have no idea how much it costs as I have never paid for one.

537866_2705200724184_1681757389_1701210_1579742667_n.jpg

537866_2705200764185_1681757389_1701211_1021822390_n.jpg

537866_2705200804186_1681757389_1701212_1055733274_n.jpg

All in all i think this is going to be a good truck for me. It runs great stops great and has the power to do what I need it to do.

Billy

DOT physical costs a lot less than the ticket. I know because it's one of those things that slips your mind during the silly season. I think the ticket was $180. I'd find out for sure, because trucks like that seem to be a magnet for an inspection. More so than a big truck.

Man, that brings back memories. I used to drive a truck EXACTLY like that (minus the plow) almost every day for about 6 years when I worked for a landscaper. You're right, it will hit the fuel limiter at about 66 MPH and be screaming bloody murder. I think 12 MPG loaded is optimistic too. The naturally aspirated 7.3 won't put you back in your seat, but it will pull some pretty serious loads...

All in all it was a darned good truck, got the $#!^ beat out of it every day, and kept on ticking.

Thanks Jeff

I'll find a place to get the physical. I guess its better to haven it and not need it than need it and not have it. Ya never know I might find a job that I need it for too.

Billy

Thanks Luke

Its good to hear that. I noticed it didn't accelerate no where as fast as a 99 crew cab 250 that was only a 1000lbs lighter. But I wanted it for pulling not racing. I do have a extra complete turbo setup for a 99 7.3 but I don't know if it will fit or help my mpg out any.

Billy

Why would you need the DOT involved if you're using it as a personal vehicle? Even if you were using it for commercial purposes it's GVW isn't enough to put you into any kind of DOT restrictions.

Thanks Luke

Its good to hear that. I noticed it didn't accelerate no where as fast as a 99 crew cab 250 that was only a 1000lbs lighter. But I wanted it for pulling not racing. I do have a extra complete turbo setup for a 99 7.3 but I don't know if it will fit or help my mpg out any.

Billy

I doubt the turbo would help with MPG, but I could be wrong. Turbos help you burn more fuel (with the same displacement), not less.

I was always pretty amazed that it seemed to accelerate equally slowly completely unloaded or loaded to the limit. I'm sure there was a difference, but it wasn't terribly noticeable.

DOT regs vary *widely* by state. I got pulled over by DOT enforcement for appearing to be overweight (I wasn't and that was a small miracle because it was one of the rare times I wasn't), but they had to find something to make up for the trouble of getting out of the cruiser, so they cited me for my lack of fire extinguisher.

The most you would need for that truck is a Chauffeur license & dot med card in MI. That's only if it's a commercial vehicle. If you own a farm as a registered business, put a log farm plate on it, much cheaper. I think that gets you around most dot regs as well. If you hall for hire, you'll need a dot # & annual safety inspection. A C

Edit: nice find BTW

Hi Snotrocket

I guess I just assumed that since it is considered a commercial type truck I have to follow commercial regs. I was driving a similar truck 15 years ago except it was a gasser and had the plate cut off at the scales since it had a pick up plate not a gvw plate and I was hauling a trailer. Although it was a company truck not a privately one one. The truck weights 8540lbs and has a 15k gvw. Can I get a pickup plate pull a trailer and still be legal pulling a trailer?

That makes sense Luke.

If its not blowing out black smoke (unburnt fuel) it has all the air it needs. I guess I could stop at a state police post and ask them what is required.

Thanks Halligan

I knew SCA was used in big trucks but I didn't know why or what it did. I did look in the radiator and saw the tubes were about plugged up with what looks like lime. So I am planning on taking it off and having it boiled out. I hope that doesn't mean my liners are toast.

Thanks A.C.

I was thinking on getting a farm and log plate. I want to move to our 120 acres in the UP. I have a lot of popple that needs to be cut before it starts rot and blow over. And I want to start farming. I have 200 to 300 acres of family I can farm and not have to pay rental on as my Uncle and Cousin just want to keep the ag use taxes on their propertys but don't have time to do it them selves.

Billy

In NY you would be OK under 18K MGW without a CDL. We have to register all trucks over 5K empty weight commercial in NY.

Nice old work truck .I have owned a 1986 f350 with 6.9 diesel and a 1993 with the 7.3.Both were still running well with over 200,000 miles when the bodies just became too ugly.

I doubt the turbo would help with MPG, but I could be wrong. Turbos help you burn more fuel (with the same displacement), not less.

For some reason, the turbo is a magical device that transformed diesels into power monsters and at the same time improved efficiency (not to mention driveability) by leaps and bounds. There's a reason all highway going diesels (in pickups anyway) went turbo circa 1994 and turbos are on every semi rolling today. There certainly wasn't any fuel mileage penalty when turbos started showing up. The penalty comes from guys like me who can't get enough of that turbine whistle while working the engine hard. ::-)

In NY you would be OK under 18K MGW without a CDL. We have to register all trucks over 5K empty weight commercial in NY.

Wow, that used to be done by GVWR no? Good heads up there.

I may have my MGW and GVWR confused. It's been a while since I read the CDL book. I you really need to know look it up.

I did, lol. Anything over 5,500lbs empty get commercial plates.

The comercial plate ruled changed a few years ago. I found out when I sold my '96 F250 in '08 and the new owner got passenger plates for it! My '00 F250 is over 5500 so its still commercial plated for me. That whole parkway thing is a real PIA, especially down my way.

Thanks Flatbedford

I was hoping I would hear from you. It looks like the laws really change from state to state and year to year.

Thanks NorthCountry

I've been needing a truck that could work for me and be dependable. And while its not as powerful as the newer ones. I think it will be a plus not having all the electronics that the newer ones have.

Thanks Loon

Its going to be a big help being able to move my toys safely. And being able to load the turck then dump my wood out rather than having to unload by hand.

Thanks MasterMech

I would love to have a turbo on. But I found out the one for the 7.3 powerstroke won't fit on the 7.3 IDI. And its not worth spending 2500+ on a turbo kit. I also looked up the rear axle and found it has a 5:13 gear in it the biggest one they put in that year. And a close gear ratio non overdrive 5-speed trans. And it screams doing 55mph. So I am either going to put a closer ring and pinion in it or see if the 5 speed overdrive trans for a 99 powerstroke will bolt up to it as I have one sitting around.

Billy

My brother Timmy came out week to pickup the B21 kubota backhoe to do some work around his yard. He helped me cut some wood and ran our skidsteer with grapple bucket for the first time.

549408_2718889146386_1681757389_1705601_135508075_n.jpg

It sure makes handling wood a lot easier.

549408_2718889066384_1681757389_1705600_1454719183_n.jpg

Its a little tough to grab wood from the end with it. But it makes blocking it up easier.

549408_2718889226388_1681757389_1705603_1878404407_n.jpg

Grabbing the blocked wood doesn't work real well with that bucket its hard to get a full bucket and the smaller stuff falls through the bucket. but with the dump truck it makes a great system.

549408_2718889186387_1681757389_1705602_1765835475_n.jpg

549408_2718889306390_1681757389_1705604_435460760_n.jpg

Billy

Reactions: smokinj and BrianK
Oh man wish I had you for a day!

Jay I'm sure it would be a lot of fun to come down and hang out for a weekend!

Billy

I forgot to say that that is a nice truck. I'd really like to upgrade my '70 to something about that age and 4x4 some day. While it is no rocket ship, I think that truck will haul or pull just about anything you ask it too, just not as fast as the newer rigs. Good luck with it.

With that powertrain you can chain the stump to the truck and tug it out after you've loaded up all the wood!

With that powertrain you can chain the stump to the truck and tug it out after you've loaded up all the wood!

I can testify to that. We used ours to pull out a lot of stumps from landscape beds. Granted they weren't huge tress, but it didn't even grunt. If you had enough weight on to keep the tires from spinning, it would rip anything out.

Thanks Steve I was thinking 4x4 would be great too.

I hear ya MasteMech. But I am seriously thinking of changing the rear end to where I can go 60mph at 2000 rpm.

Luke I really like the truck so far. Right now its all low end and getting it more to the middle of the road. Where it can handle some off road and hit lower highways speed will work out best for me. I have a lot of farm equ here at home that need to be hauled to the farm 350 miles north.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.