New old truck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than swap the gear or install a new OD tranny, I wonder if they make a 2-speed transfer case? Then you would have a 10-speed and the best of both worlds. I may be dreaming, but it might be worth looking into.

Bolt-on OD unit might not be a bad idea. No idea on cost, but check out http://www.gearvendors.com/ . They've been around forever.

In reality, 2500 rpm at 55 ain't that far off. That motor certainly doesn't have a lot of low end grunt, and probably revs to, 33-3400? I'd load it up and drive it like it is for a while. You might be better off taking your time. My dad had an '84 pickup with a 6.9 and 4.10's. It seemed like a pretty decent match, but it was a F250.

Jeff, Jinx!

Bolt-on OD unit might not be a bad idea. No idea on cost, but check out http://www.gearvendors.com/ . They've been around forever.

In reality, 2500 rpm at 55 ain't that far off. That motor certainly doesn't have a lot of low end grunt, and probably revs to, 33-3400? I'd load it up and drive it like it is for a while. You might be better off taking your time. My dad had an '84 pickup with a 6.9 and 4.10's. It seemed like a pretty decent match, but it was a F250.

IIRC, that motor yellow lines at about 3200 and starts shutting down at 3600 RPM. Might not be exact, but close. I think you could get by with taller gears and a heavy load as long as you were on flat land.

Thanks Guys

What I would really like would be a electric sift two speed rear axle. But I haven't found any for that small of a truck. I used to run a F-600 that had one in it and they work really well. I did find out I do have a OD trans now. I read the chart wrong. I thought they would list it as +77 but it was shown as .77 I will change the ring and pinion when I figure out which one I want. If I have to drop down and run in 4th with a heavy load thats no big deal to me. But if I am running light to mid load I want the rpm down so I can get better mileage. And I hate to zing an engine when I don't have to.

I did find out I have a ford ZF close ratio trans. And even with the big rear end reverse is way high and I would not want to back a trailer up with it.

Close Ratio
1st Gear: 4.14
2nd Gear: 2.37
3rd Gear: 1.42
4th Gear: 1.00
5th Gear: 0.77
Rev Gear: 3.79

They also make a ZF trans with these ratio's

Close Ratio - 7.3L Diesel
1st Gear: 5.08
2nd Gear: 2.60
3rd Gear: 1.53
5th Gear: 0.77
Rev Gear: 4.66
Wide Ratio
1st Gear: 5.72
2nd Gear: 2.94
3rd Gear: 1.61
5th Gear: 0.76
Rev Gear: 5.24

I do have a spare ZF trans I can trade in on a wide ratio trans. That will keep my low end grunt even with a smaller rear end get my rpm where I want and give me a lower reverse.

Billy

I did get the oil changed yesterday. And got more power when I checked the air cleaner found a mouse nest plugging up the air intake tube. I did make a mess when I dropped the oil filter in the oil catch pan. Next time I will punch a hole in the filter and let it drain out first!

557701_2733705156777_1681757389_1710781_191365770_n.jpg

I also burnt some wire yesterday. I took the pintle hitch off. Cut the back plate down so I don't get hung up off road. Welded in a 2" reese reciver. So when I get my plate I can hook up my trailer. I was going to cut wood but it was the first day in a month or more that I could weld outside. While I really like my mig welder. It just isn't much good outside most days.

526158_2733738477610_1681757389_1710804_457433923_n.jpg

But it worked out well. I know I stuck it out kinda far. But I hate to have to reach under the bed to hook up. And I can cut the trailer shaper with out jack knifing.

Billy

I hate when that happens with the filter. Nice picture though.

Billy, load that MIG up with flux-core wire and fall in love again. Just as good as a stick welder outside. Doesn't need gas either. You also will have to reverse polarity of your leads for flux-core wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.