New or old woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdinMaine

Hearth Supporter
Oct 12, 2009
Southern Maine
We inherited several woodstoves with the 1878 brick house with attached garage we bought 4 years ago: A Blaze King KEJ-1101, a Portland Stove Foundry #224 Atlantic Box stove, a Trolla #800 cast iron fireplace stove, a Jotul #4 Combifire and a really antique Victorian parlor stove of unkown make which has the old mica doors. I am a busy, working mom with 3 young boys and a husband who is rarely home. Last fall we had a nearly fatal fire in our family room (luckily we were not home, but got back just in time) which is above an unheated garage and has a trussed attic space/roof with metalbestos chimney pipe (which apparently failed and caused the pink insulation that was right up against it to ignite). All of the above was installed/used by the previous home-owners in the late 70's and 80's. We've only used the Blaze King to heat our family room and have kept it going during the heating season 24/7 for 4 years. However, it could probably heat all of Maine and is too big for the 580 square foot room with 7' 4 inch ceiling. Plus, I'm worried sick about what damage I've caused to my kids' lungs these past few years since none of us have a PhD in woodburning and I'm sure have not used the catalytic burner with the right wood at the right temperature, etc. We've smoked up the room a million times trying to get a fire going with the wrong or green wood. So, my question is this: Should I use one of the woodstoves mentioned above in the family room ( which has only electric baseboard heat otherwise), or should I try to sell them and buy a new, efficient and safety-rated smaller woodstove? I love the idea of the open fire to enjoy (like our old Vigilant) when we don't need serious heat, but also the ability to leave the house for the day or go to bed at night and know that the room will not be ice cold when we return. My husband, of course, doesn't want to spend any money on a new stove and wants to make do with what we have. I want our family to stay warm (and alive!). He plans to buy new chimney pipe and is very good at taking things apart and cleaning/fixing/repainting them. Any suggestions?

There is up to a $1500 tax credit on a new stove, chimney, etc.

Something to think about. I'm sure others will chime in.

Welcome to the forums !! Always nice to see another one of "us" here ;-)

Welcome, I can't say that I know anything about any of your stoves except that Jotul #4, I have 2 friends that heat their homes with them, they are very reliable heaters. A new stove would be more efficient but, it is a huge expense, I would spend my money on a new chimney and use a stove that you already own.

u coudl probably get 600 bucks out of the blazeking, and put it towards a new stove and chimeny. and sell the other stoves for a a few bucks too.. them blaze kings still go for some bucks used and old around here!

Ray

Welcome ColdinMaine. It gets better from here.

I would certainly start with a new chimney making sure it's installed correctly. Use one of your stoves, probably the Jotul as webby suggests. Then worry about getting some good dry wood. Later on maybe next year worry about the stove.

Good chimney. Dry wood. Nice and safe.

Welcome ColdinMaine . . .

My advice (and you can take it for what it's worth) . . .

a) definitely get new Class A chimney before using any woodstove

b) definitely get ahold of some well seasoned firewood (cut and split for 9 months to a year)

c) decide whether to hold on to one of the stoves or sell them all and get a newer, more efficient stove

In making your decision to keep or sell the stoves I would point out that right now you can get a 30% tax credit on buying a new stove, newer stoves = more efficient = more heat and quite honestly with the bevy of stoves you have you should be able to sell most of them for $200-$400 and that would really cut down on your out-lay of cash for a newer stove. If I were me (and I am me) I would try selling the other stoves (keeping the Jotul or Blaze King until last) and seeing how much cash I could raise . . . if I was able to sell most of the stoves and had a good chunk of cash put aside I would start to consider a new stove . . . otherwise I might just keep the Jotul or Blaze King for this winter.

Thanks, everyone, for your collective advice. I think I'll start with installing the class A chimney pipe and have hubby hook up the Jotul to it after sprucing it up with paint and inspecting/repairing/replacing parts as needed. I'll then list all the stoves on Craigslist and see what I get to go towards a new one for next winter. So, any further advice for running a Jotul #4 Combifire in a 580 sf room? It still seems a little big for one room, but I guess we can always open the windows! The Jotul has the option of either hooking it up to the chimney from the top or back. Both ways would work in our room...any thoughts?

ColdinMaine said:
So, any further advice for running a Jotul #4 Combifire in a 580 sf room? It still seems a little big for one room, but I guess we can always open the windows!

Box fans! Move that cool air from other rooms toward the stove!

It is real hard to move move the flue collar on those old stoves, the bolts want to break. I would use it as it is setup right now. Oh, use Stove-Bright paint on that Jotul, don't bother using paint from a big box store, you will waste time and money. Here is an old Jotul I repainted with Stove-Bright.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 715
Status
Not open for further replies.