New Osburn 2000 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones

Feb 16, 2007
Tennessee
I've been away from the forums for awhile.....but a couple of weeks ago removed the old Ember Hearth and installed an Osburn 2000....:). Welded up a new surround and now have up to 8 - 9 hour burns...!!!.

Osburn.JPG

Nice looking surround. Is that mesh open to let some additional heat escape into the room? Are the vents still open in the stone chimney face and do they also let heat into the room?

Thanks, I'm very pleased with the install...

Yes, the expanded metal mesh lets more heat circulate around the stove and looks better than the solid steel surround that comes with the stove.

The vents from the fireplace are still open, but no heat from them that I can tell...

Wow, great for you...

The whole effect is nice, especially the way the decoration ties in with the door.

Re vented perforated surround part of it, I'd like some addl info, if you don't mind, on how you did it --

1. Materials used, best place to get them.
2. Approximate cost, tools required, any tips or plans.
3. Can it be done without welding.

Have thought about something like this -- replacing surround with a vented one, but I don't weld (only solder). If welding is necessary, would think should be able to have it done, but not sure who to go to.

Dave....local sheet metal shop in town cut the expanded metal ( 3 pieces), made the 1" angle to go around the stove 16 gauge ( 3 pieces) and that was $20.
An A/C shop made the pieces for the outside into a "U" to fit around the 16 gauge ( very tight fit) 1" front and 3/4" back for $10. High temperature primer and flat black $12.
The metal animals were $1.50 to $2.50 each ( on-line) and fit well into our log cabin theme.
The 1" angle is welded to each other and the mesh is tacked to it ( top and sides). The outside "U" is free floating to make room for adjustments and fits tight.
All metal has to be very clean before painting. The "U" channel is galvanized and has to be free of oils and then sanded before primer.

I would guess a sheet metal shop would charge ~ $30 - $40 to do the welding.

Nice work, it's very creative.

Thanks for the info, Bones.

That is a beautiful hearth IMHO. The mesh looks great. Bonus if it adds to the heat circulation. Nice work...

Looks great, and functional as well.

How far down are you letting the coals burn down to get a 8-9 burn? I have the same unit and have to reload after 5 hrs stove top below 300 and that is packed with white ash.

Coals are pretty well down to nothing, raked to the front, still enough to light pine kindling with the door ajar after several minutes...

Those 2 long burns were with hickory logs with BIG knots and firebox was stuffed on a large bed of hot coals.

Next fall I want to check burn times and heat output with logs running EW versus NS....

Very creative. Nice work. Glad to hear you're having success burning in your new unit.

Coals are pretty well down to nothing, raked to the front, still enough to light pine kindling with the door ajar after several minutes...

Those 2 long burns were with hickory logs with BIG knots and firebox was stuffed on a large bed of hot coals.

Next fall I want to check burn times and heat output with logs running EW versus NS....

That sounds right, Glad you are liking your new stove.

Those 2 long burns were with hickory logs with BIG knots

Similar experience with the big yellow birch uglies. Nice long burns...

Status
Not open for further replies.