New Osburn Matrix Product Line

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
every opportunity ;lol (and there's just not enough opportunities these days)...

I was pestering an SBI rep this fall about their stoves at the shop where I got mine - asking about changes to baffles (from brick to vermiculite, I believe), etc. If I recall there was some confusion or missing details in the newer parts listing docs he had - he went to a lot of time and trouble, phone calls, etc to chase down the correct info and raise the issue with his contacts - before I left. Reading your posts, just thinking it could have been one of those "small world" things.

Were you talking to Ron? Older gentleman? He's a great asset. He's the gentleman who designed all the Century wood stove line way back when they were known as Haught. He was one of the pioneer to design EPA wood rated stove more or less without lab. Lots of experience, trial and error, shoe string budget. He can tell many a story about the early days of EPA and the industry.

Were you talking to Ron? Older gentleman? He's a great asset. He's the gentleman who designed all the Century wood stove line way back when they were known as Haught. He was one of the pioneer to design EPA wood rated stove more or less without lab. Lots of experience, trial and error, shoe string budget. He can tell many a story about the early days of EPA and the industry.

Could have been - don't recall the name (can't recall what I had for breakfast most days) - nice guy in any case. The "old timers" are definitely a wealth of knowledge. Trial and error & shoe string budget is pretty much how I do everything - can really appreciate that. Next time I happen by that store and the SBI guys are there I'll have to ask around...

I just want to add that my experience with the Matrix is improving. I traced most of the noise to a resonating heat shield that protects the blower from direct exposure to the bottom of the firebox, and improvised an extra attachment point to keep it from vibrating so vigorously. This reduced the annoying hum rather dramatically. I emailed Osburn with my solution, and was told that they're already working on a similar improvement. The occasional resonance I'm still hearing seems related to stove temperature. There are some ungasketed metal to metal connections between the blower and its mounting plate and heat shield, which may need a bit of padding or some extra screws, or both. But I'm extremely impressed with Osburn's responses to me around these noise issues, and optimistic they will iron out the bugs.

Of interest, we asked John Gulland to re-write the section on wood burning for our manuals. For those of you who may not know, John is an icon in the wood burning industry and a great resource. He is behind the http://woodheat.org/index.php web site.

The Matrix was the first manual to incorporate his thoughts on wood burning. What do you think?

I like the manual a lot, especially as it describes the everyday rhythms of loading, firing and cleaning out a wood stove. As a newbie woodburner, I wish it said a little more about operating the stove near its design limits. Woodheat.org has an article arguing that stove thermometers are unnecessary. Accordingly, the Matrix manual doesn't seem to mention thermometer use, but also doesn't define overfiring or describe what it looks like. As the weather gets colder and I want to get as much heat from the stove as possible, I find that I don't know how to tell whether I could safely turn up the heat, or whether doing so might sacrifice efficiency, or whether I'm already pushing my luck.

I think they should release a dvd to show the proper loading techniques, proper air adjustment, what an over fire looks like and how to deal with it, what good secondary burn looks like and so on with whatever stove you have. Seems like it would solve a lot questions.

Just wanted to add that my burn times have increased substantially as I've learned how to use the insert. Last night I loaded it tightly with mixed hardwoods, N-S, at about 9:00 or 9:15. At 9:45 I was in bed. When I got up around 5:30 there were still some recognizably log-shaped coals in back, and it was still putting out a meaningful amount of heat -- enough to keep the large living room comfortable, thought the rest of the house was getting a little chilly. Outdoor temps went down to about 10F last night.

Reactions: etiger2007
Glad to hear that you have started to master the art of burning in your insert! It always takes a while t o learn a stove/insert inside and out. Heck, I still learn on mine and I have had it for 3 years!

It sounds like you had a proper overnight burn!

Andrew

It sounds like you had a proper overnight burn!

It does look that way, and it's very satisfying.

All the wood I'm burning was purchased very recently, because this is my first year with a woodburner of any sort. It's reasonably dry, but the MC varies and some pieces are a little damper than I know is ideal. I'm looking forward to next winter, when I'll be able to see what it's like with fully-seasoned wood.

Great news!

A sound piece of advice that everybody on this forum passes along: start hoarding wood. It's like money in the bank! I would rather have 10 cords of wood and only need 3 (with the opportunity to sell a couple) than to be short and/or have wet wood.

Andrew

I'm not normally prone to hoarding, but I do find it extremely difficult to pass up anything that seems like an unusually good deal. In the past that hasn't been a big problem because the things I've opportunistically acquired have been relatively small. But free firewood is hard to look away from, and I've brought home a couple of cords of it, a quarter-cord or less at a time because that's how much my car can carry. I am pretty much out of places to put it, and still more presents itself and is hard to pass up...

Welcome to the "wood hoarders club"! You seem to be going down the right path! I am the same way. I have about 10 cords on my property now. 6 of which is hardwood.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.