New Oslo Owner: First Impression

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff in pa

Jan 24, 2007
Well, the new stove was installed yesterday! While I've had stoves in camps and in a guide shack I lived in, I haven't had one in my house before.

It turns out I estimated the masonry chimney height pretty close at about 30 feet, so not too much waste there. Install seemed fairly straight forward except it was difficult to make the last few connections in the back of the hearth. While I considered doing the install my self I am very glad I did not. My roof is steep and tall. No fun at all from the feedback I got!

Operating the stove has been interesting. I did the first 200 F / 1 hour break in fire and quickly noticed the nasty film (creosote) build up on the previously clean glass! Did the next 300 F burn in and started to get some smell but no smoke. On the 400 F burn in I definitely had to open the windows and there was visible smoke.

On each of these burns I noticed I HAD to keep the side door open to keep the fire lit. I was concerned, given the recent posts and comments with the Oslo having too little air. Before lighting a "real" fire today I checked to ensure the inlet was not blocked by cement or anything else. It was not. This time, I allowed the fire to build to about 450 F with the side door cracked open. At this temp I was seeing a little of the secondary burn starting and closed up the side door but with the air inlet adjusted to max. Temp went right up to about 500 and stayed there. Nice secondary burn. I loaded in a few small splitts and in about an hour had crept up to about 550 and The window was cleaning itself!! Backed down the airflow to hold 450 and everything is great!

It is 30 outside today so not real cold. Main room of the open floor plan house went up to 75. Upstairs was 69. I'll miss miss my oil man, NOT!

Pleased,

Jeff in PA

Congratulations Jeff and welcome to the club. You're hooked now. Nice choice. Hope you can post some shots soon.

I just purchased an Oslo as well. Here is another pitch for Preston Trading Post, great service. It replaces an old 118 that will now do duty in the garage. My experience was the opposite. Very quick start and good draft. As soon as the paper started to flame well, I closed the side door and the fire took off. My downside was the amount of smoke in the room from curing. A good amount from about 250 up. The 300 firing was one large cloud in the room.
A side question. Mine is the flat black, does anyone have a water pot on theirs and has it given any trouble. The 118 was enamel, but I used the pot on it with no problems, unlike others I have seen on here.

Hi Chad, I have the flat black Oslo, bought it at Preston Trading Post 3 years ago! I have an enamel steamer sitting on top and it hasn't made any marks at all. Sits there all season and I just wipe the stove top with a damp cloth in the spring. No troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.