New outdoor show I'm following-Alaska: The Last Frontier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
North Woods Law seems to be on hiatus, which is one of the few shows I actually watch. I've avoided most of the Alaska shows that seem to be pervading the airwaves, but this one caught my eye. The story behind it is pretty interesting. Atz Kilcher, the patriarch of the family, was raised in Alaska by his parents, who fled Switzerland in the 1930s hoping to start a colony for Swiss ex-pats in Alaska. The Kilchers were classically trained musicians, and traveled the world performing, but they always maintained their homesteading lifestyle in Alaska. Atz is also the father of the performer Jewel. Clearly they have more than enough money, but what's interesting is the way they choose to live their lives. They raise livestock, grow crops, and mostly live off the land, off the grid, and lead a simple existence. Kind of like a modern version of "Alone in the Wilderness." They seem like pretty humble folks. Part of what I tended to not like about the other Alaska shows is that they all seemed to be full of bravado and guys running around looking for gold. From what I've seen of this show its been just a documentary about day to day living in that kind of environment. Definitely worth DVRing for a cold winters night.

Had no idea about the Jewel relationship either.
First season is on Net Flix. Pretty good show, nice life when you have several hundred acres of waterfront land and money is never an issue. That's the only part that bugs me, easy to spend all day homesteading when you aren't worried about cash.

Been watching it a few seasons now. It's kinda funny how they make it seem like they are WWAAAYYY out in the wilderness. Watch Buying Alaska and you'll find they mention Katchamak (sp) bay quite often and show homes that probably aren't too far from where the Kiltchers (sp) are-and there are neighbors right on top of many of the homes folks are looking at. And yeah, they seriously can't be hard up for $$, plus I believe at least a few of them work at regular jobs (Firefighters?).

Atz has a net worth of 5 million. I'm betting though that most of that is the 600 acres of land which they got as homesteaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.