New outdoor wood boiler installation with existing oil boiler and radiators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK32

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and I'm starting into an outdoor wood boiler install. I have an oil boiler in the house that circulates through radiators in parallel. My question is, how is it best to plumb into my existing piping? I plan to install a sidearm(?) heat exchanger on my water tank, and install radiant floor heat in one room of the house (an additon to the house with no heat source). I'm a newbie. Where I'm currently hung up is the recommended water temp from the boiler I'm reading is ~185F+. I obviously can't send that through my radiators... or my radiant floor heat. I've also read about the thermostatic mixing valve for the exit from my hot water tank. Is there something similar for the radiator and in-floor systems? Does the main loop just need to be kept at 185, then everything that comes off of it set with mixing valves? Any input is appreciated.

There are plenty of diagrams available online and on this forum....yes after your domestic HW needs are met, the water should get mixed down for heating....

Status
Not open for further replies.