New outside Furnace...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theheatelement

Just installed a wood boiler and would like some advice... We are heating a factory approx 35,000 ft and it seems to have the capacity to heat it while we are working but want to know some info about burning after hours. Right now it's just palette's mostly pine probably some hardwood... What would be good to burn to keep the coals on in the morning so we can just toss some wood on and get started..I really should use coal but I need something that doesn't keep expense up... right now we are turning the fan down on the boiler to the bottom but would like to keep temps up on the pipe around 130... Any help would be appreciated..

I am sure there are a lot of people here who would be happy to help (very knowledgeable, been their done that crowd). You could help them by telling everyone the size/type of boiler, brand name etc the more info the better, keeps ppl from having to guess in their efforts to help. Some may wish to have info on building size/type etc, in order to help you with heat loads. Welcome to the forum.

I know nothing about trying to heat 35k[]!!! I'm guessing you pay someone with a payloader to load the beast. Overload that beast overnight with coal and everyone's gonna be outta work the next morning :grrr: .

The only {marginally} useful observation I can make . . . softwood pallets are probably not going to leave you with a good coal bed in the morning . . . .

What does the manufacturer recommend?

Yep, need more info! But I want to know how much wood you will use for 35k square ft. What type of exchanger are you using in the building and how are the zones laid out?

Gary

Just reread your post and you said temps at 130? If that is output of the boiler you are about 50 degrees low.

Sorry it took so long to get back guys, its a crown royal stove

MODELS RS7200 RS7300 RS7400 RS7500
SPECIFICATIONS
Est Weight (lbs) 1400 1700 2300 3400
Width 47" 57" 70" 84"
Length 72" 74" 90" 102"
Height 80" 84" 96" 110"
Wood Length 32" 44" 56" 60"
Chimney Size 6" 6" 8" 10"
Door Size 20" x 20" 20" x 20" 24" x 24" 32" x 32"
Supply Size 2-1 1/4" 2-1 1/4" 2-1 1/4" 4-1 1/4"
Return Size 2-1 1/4" 2-1 1/4" 2-1 1/4" 4-1 1/4"
Appox
Water Capacity 150 gal. 200 gal. 380 gal. 620 gal.
Fan Capacity 150 cfm 150 cfm 240 cfm 300 cfm
Turbo Draft B 100 cfm 100 cfm 100 cfm 100 cfm
Approx. Sq. Ft.
(Building Size) 2,000 -
3,000 4,000 -
5,000 8,000 -
10,000 18,000 -
Approx. BTU's 165,000 240,000 365,000 500,000
Insulation Walls R 30 R 30 R 30 R 30
Insulation Roof R 40 R 40 R 40 R 40
409 Stainless Steel yes yes yes yes

It's the 7400 model, we currently have two heat exchangers in one 10,000 sq ft warehouse, 1 in a 8,000 sq ft and one in the main plant 10,000 but much more insulated.. Right now were just using pallets during the day I have an unlimited supply of them.. We have to feed it alot but at night times we turn it all off and just heat the water and circulate it so normally I just toss in 4-5 splits of oak and let it burn all night long.. In the morning we turn the fans on toss some palettes on to the coals and it lights right back up. This week we'll see how it does because were wiring it into the main plant because the gas furnace kicks on below 55 degrees. The other warehouses can drop down to 20 because it doesn't take to long for the heat exchangers to warm the place back up to 70.

Burn hardwood pallets overnight, and have someone break them up with a crowbar or a chainsaw so that they are physically dense and lay flat, and pile into coals, when it comes to the ratio of wood to air-space in between.

I've helped for years with a local non-profit chicken BBQ fundraiser, and when we tried to do it with whole hardwood pallets, most of the heat went up in smoke.

Take the same exact pallets and improve their energy density and slow their speed of burn by breaking them down into a dense pile before igniting them, and as they are added into the fire, and you'll be on an entirely different planet, in terms of heat output.

I'll take pics in the morning of our current setup.. so far I am simply amazed at the amount of heat were getting... tossed in a few pieces of oak, should have some remains in the morning..

I don't see how it is keeping up! Have you done a heat loss calculation on the buildings? How high are the ceilings, amount of insulation,how many windows etc.

Gary

NO windows in any of the buildings, they are metal buildings except one is a cement building. Ceilings in the main plant are 16 and in the warehouses 20ft.. it does a very good job so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.