New Owner with Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSAW

Sep 6, 2010
Fl
Hello all, first post. Bought this at a yard sale a couple days ago. I have lots of question, but will keep them to a minimum in this thread. Tried a fire in it while on the trailer and all seemed well. While cleaning it I noticed that it wasn't sealed well around the bottom so I took it apart to clean and reseal/cement.

1. Only the top and bottom appeared to be sealed. The corners/vertical seams don't appear to have any sealer. Is that
normal?

2. What kind of cement/sealer do I use? Where to get it?

3. As of now we would like to go put it in a corner and do the chimney out the wall if possible. How much horizontal run is too much? This is all subject to change.

4. ID? Looks like a copy of a Vermont Castings Defiant the best I can tell from looking at pictures on the net. The only marking on it anywhere is a cast in W on the inside of the rear panel. Anyone know what this is and/or how old it might be. It has a heat shield on the back which leads me to believe it isn't real old.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions, I knew absolutely nothing about these things two days ago and still know it today.

101_5649.gif

101_5650.gif

securedownload-1.jpg

Hello CSAW: This stove does appear to be a copy of a Vermont Castings Defiant with certain minor modifications. During the first "energy crisis" in the 70's the market was inundated with cheap Taiwanese copies of brand name stoves. In many cases, a brand name stove was disassembled and the castings were used as patterns. Just enough difference was introduced in an attempt to avoid legal troubles. Jotul was the chief victim of these copies and a lawsuit brought by that company largely ended the practice. A rear heat shield was available for the Defiant from the start, so that's no indication of your stove's age.

There was a great deal of variation in the quality of the Taiwanese copies - some were pretty good, others developed cracks almost immediately. Assuming I'm right about your stove, I don't think I would want to use it unless you're very confident in your own ability to tell if it's safe or someone else with more experience has checked it.

Thanks for the replies. Those links are helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.