New P61A installed and ready to rock.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory S

Feeling the Heat
Oct 12, 2014
NH, USA
Just finished my P61A install. The layout worked very well, and I got to use my existing 6" stove pipe (with 2 new sections also), so the cost was under $100.00 for piping/SS adapter etc. I will be burning GranuleLG's. I purchased 3 ton in August, and they are all stacked inside and ready to burn. Our home is super insulated (1900sq ft) two floors. We only burned 3 cord of wood last year as a primary heat source. We only used 100-125 gallons of propane from the end of October to May 20th for the dryer and H/W. I have a feeling this P61 is going to be perfect, and possibly never need to consume more than a bag a day. I collect tons of data, so it will be a fun experience! Still deciding whether I want to use the outside air intake or not...I will probably try it both ways throughout the winter and document changes/data during.

P61A.JPG

P61A.JPG

Attachments

• P61.JPG
    P61.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: bags and Don2222
Looking good

Reactions: Cory S
Very nice, enjoy the warmth this winter.

Enjoy both the heat and ambiance.

I'll wager that you will keep the OAK once you try it.

Very nice - congrats and enjoy!

Very nice!! I say just go with the oak!

I want to go with the OAK, but I boil my brain to death in the science behind it.... There's the debate about colder initial combustion air, possibly resulting in less efficiency or slightly less BTU per lb. Whether or not it's even measurable at a user level, I don't know. Without the OAK I do not want to draw a vacuum in the home, and also heat already heated air I spent money on lol. I guess I will try to capture as much data as I can, and try it both ways.

very nice but make sure the stove pipe are sealed because the smoke can escape. With a pellet stove is positive draft in stove pipe.

very nice but make sure the stove pipe are sealed because the smoke can escape. With a pellet stove is positive draft in stove pipe.
Agree totally with this above. Wood stove pipe is not designed to be used on a pellet stove. Hopefully you've got those stove pipe joints sealed tight and have a CO detector in the room somewhere. You'll love that P61A....

Agree totally with this above. Wood stove pipe is not designed to be used on a pellet stove. Hopefully you've got those stove pipe joints sealed tight and have a CO detector in the room somewhere. You'll love that P61A....
Dry fitted the pipe first. Then applied a thin 1/8" bead of Permatex Ultra Copper RTV (650* working temperature) inside each pipe joint. :), then 3 screws in each joint. Yes. CO detecter within 20' and it works very well. Last year with the woodstove, I shoveled some ash into the ash pan under the stove, and there were a few ember glowing pieces in there. 30 minutes later I got a preliminary warming from the CO detector and it took me HOURS to figure out where it could have possibly been coming from LOL..... I was impressed.... Truly an oderless/colorless gas!!

You will like that 61 a lot. Nice stove BTW. Buying my 68 last October was a great move for me and we really enjoyed it all around.

I just hope pellet prices do not get goofy in the next few years to come. If you heated all year last year on 3 cords then I'd say 3-4 tons of pellets would have you covered. Have you stocked up yet? I'd get 4 tons or 5 if ya feel froggy. You can always use them the next winter.

Looking forward to your data study. I will throw in my vote for an OAK. Do a search here on that highly contested subject. Also research cool and warm air exchanges etc. That stove IS going to pull air from somewhere. The decision is whether you want it pulling from inside or out.

IMHO an OAK is a no brainer but I'm a moron so what would I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.