New Pacific Energy T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flhpi

Burning Hunk
Oct 13, 2009
Southern Ohio
This fall I installed a Fireview in my house. I have about 1100sq ft. Part of that is the original log room and a enclosed porch that is pretty thin on insulation. When I was home I could keep the Fireview rolling and the house fairly warm but if I am away for over 10hrs or so I would come home to a cool house and it would take a while for me to bring the soapstone up to a good temp. When the temps fell to 5 degrees this last week things really got chilly and I had to turn on the propane which I hate to do.

I looked around and read reviews plus stopped by a stove shop in my area. I was going to get a P.E. Spectrum but I wanted a bigger fire box for the long burns. Plus I need to keep the enclosed porch warm if there is a power outage because I have a washer out there and don't want pipes freezing. I thought I would go with the Summit Classic and went to place my order and there wasn't much of a price difference so I went with the T6. The rating for the T6 had me worried it might be overkill but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and have frozen pipes.

Ordered stove on a Wed. and it was ready on Thurs. I picked it up Fri. and called my Bro in Law. We were just going to unload it and install Sat morning. One thing led to another and we had two extra guys close buy that helped move it so by Friday night we had it installed and a small fire going. I know that I am still in the honeymoon phase with the stove but this thing is great. The heat is making its way though the house. Fairly open floor plan but all rooms are warmer than they used to be. I wasn't sure about the convection vs. radiant heat but so far it is working great. I got a fire going this morning and the outside temp was 18 degrees and it was a nice 75-77 in the house but not overbearing. Still have a fan in the window to suck out all the funny smells of the new stove and house is still staying comfortable.

The Fireview is a great stove and if I had a set work schedule it might of worked for me. Coming home to a cold house and waiting for the stone to get hot just didn't work for me. The customer service from Woodstock is outstanding. The looks of the soapstone is nice but nice doesn't keep my butt warm. So far the T6 has performed well but it has only been running less than a day and it is warmer than the Fireview.

After I spend more time with the P.E. I will give a better review.

Congratulations and thanks for posting the review. Both are good stoves. Good to hear the T6 is keeping you warm and cozy. You'll have to update your signature for the new addition.

Yep I love the T6. Its very versatile and built like a tank. If you need less heat for shoulder times just put in less wood and burn ew. For hot and long fires load it up ns.

Update on the T6:
The stove has been heating my house for a couple of weeks now and has been doing very well. One day last week I was traveling for work and I loaded the stove E/W with red oak. Thirteen hours later the house was sitting at 60 degrees and I had hot coals under he ash to start a new fire with a couple of sticks and splits. The outside temp was around 24 degrees. Not bad and the house warmed up pretty quickly.

I stoked the fire 11:00am on Christmas day. There was plenty of ash in the stove but instead of dealing with the ash I just threw in all the hickory that would fit and left the house to go to the girlfriends house. After the Christmas dinner we traveled out of town to her dads house and I arrived back home today, the 26th at 1700. I turned on my propane for heat and planned on emptying the ashes when I got home. There wasn't any real heat coming from the stove but when I shoveled out the ash there were red hot coals under the ash. That's 30 hours and I had enough coals to start a fire. The amount of ash helped preserve the coals but I was impressed.

The downside to the T6:
The ash pan is a joke after owning a Vermont Casting I am spoiled with a nice ash system. It is still easier to empty ash compared to the Fireview, more room to shovel and move coals.
Once I get a nice bed of coals and load the stove with wood it seems to burn too hot. I get long burn times but I wish I could turn down the air more than I can. I position the air control all the way to low and the stove seems to burn too hot and fast. The temp has been up to 750-800 and a very active flame.

All things considered I am very pleased with the stove. If I had to do it over I would buy it again. The dealer is giving me a discount on the blower if I want to buy it later. After placing a box fan around the stove and playing with air flow I will probably but a fan and install it this winter.

I will keep burning and give an update later. Hopefully there will be a blizzard and a power outage this winter so I can really see what the stove can do.

Congrats flhpi, and thanks for the update, though I still want to see pics. :cheese:

Do folks think it might be worthwhile for him to install a stovepipe damper to slow it down a bit when he wants?

flhpi said:
Once I get a nice bed of coals and load the stove with wood it seems to burn too hot. I get long burn times but I wish I could turn down the air more than I can. I position the air control all the way to low and the stove seems to burn too hot and fast. The temp has been up to 750-800 and a very active flame.

If you have used the ash chute, make sure it is totally closed and not propped open by a cinder/chunk etc, it will lead to very hot stovetop. also, check the fit of the door all the way around, search dollar bill test. I would be surprised if it is fit properly, it would be a first.

+1 on the blower, makes a big difference and adds another layer of flexibility in controlling heat output, both when it is super cold and shoulder season.

My Super 27 will burn very hot with the air lever right on the L. Sometimes I can put it down just past the L but most of the time I close the air all the way down or I get those very hot fire that eat through the wood like it's nothing. After the stove has been cruising for a while and temps are starting to back down a little I'll start giving it a little more air.

Seal the ash chute opening with silicone and scopp the ashes out with a shovel. Also, as Madison said above, check the fit of the door and gasket. Check the steel piece that the door handle gizzmo latches on to--it is held on to the stove with one (1) small self tapping screw. The threads on the screw on my PE were stripped.(it was a new stove!) Some times the door would seal and other times it wouldn't. (This was a hard one to diagnose!).

If all the above are checked/done you have a much better chance of having a stove that you can actually control!

PE is giving a free blower with purchase tiill 12/31

Thanks for the replies. I did a dollar bill test and it is tight in some places and loose in others. The handle has always been hard to close. I will try to adjust the door. I would like a little more control of the flame when adjusting on the low end of the air control. I still have the Fireview and plan on listing it on Craigslist or on here. Just haven't got around to it yet. I have a Resolute Acclaim and a Fireview sitting in the basement right now. People think I dabble with wood stoves too much but everyone needs a hobby.

The T6 door handle has washers to adjust the tightness. My stove came with the washers on wrong side-inside of door handle so it felt tight but wasn't- when I moved some of them to the outside the door was much tighter. Get yourself a spare handle kit. They come with a bunch of washers and spare pin to adjust door handle and you will probably need a handle some day. As some have said check gaskets my glass gasket was installed uneven so I had to replace it.
I love the stove and seeing as I live in cold country I am happy with its propensity to run fairly hot 800 on a full load. If you need cooler temps then some have modified their air control to close all the way. I think BeGreen did so.

If it is like the T-4, the piece the the door latch latches to is adjustable. It is on the fire box, not the door. Mine has two bolts that require a 3/8" wrench.

Number 11 page 23, "door catch"

http://www.pacificenergy.net/PDF/manuals/5055.202T4-5-6-310510(W).pdf

The T6 is not like the T4. Different setup.

I originally thought the washers were for adjustment on mine too. The bolts on my catch come in from the side, hidden by the cast iron outer shell, like the bolts on the other end that hold the door hinge. Once loosened, the catch is adjustable, the mounting holes are slotted or oversized. Move then retighten. I guess the T-6 could be different, but the exploded view shows the same adjusting/mounting bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.