New Paint.. Spray Paint or Brush On ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankdozer

Burning Hunk
Aug 31, 2016
Maine
I started the sanding process of my Papa Bear. I few rust pits here and there but overall in great condition. Coaly, you recommended Stove Bright satin black so that's what I shall use. But I see you have also used metallic black. Is the end result different or are the paints the same?
Now I need to decide on using spray cans or brush on. Does one hold up better than the other? Also does the brush on look as good as spray on? And would the brush on show brush marks?

Metallic black has a "sparkly" finish to it. IMHO, it's easier to touch up (with a rattle can) than the Satin Black.
Satin really changes colors with prolonged burning & when you try to spray a stove to touch it up,
you will end up painting the entire thing anyway. Most stoves require the better part of two rattle cans.

I keep mine original color. No metallic black on any of mine. Only the first stoves were brushed.
With hard use (my only heat source) I end up painting the top each year. Mostly from wear doing a lot of cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.