New patio w/ fire pit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAY_PA

Feeling the Heat
May 13, 2008
Northeastern PA
For several years, we have been having weekend fires in one of those metal, portable fire pits. My boys and I absolutly love it and have a fire probably about 3 days a week all summer long. We have simply out grown it and wanted more fire. Well the Mrs had a great idea for me to build her a new patio and make a fire pit with it. Se had a great spot in mind, where is was a PITA to mow/weedwack.Finally had enough time to get it done, diging out the sod/grass first was by far the worst part. I started collecting the stones in the very early spring. The one right in front of the fire pit was one big, thick HEAVY mutha. I couldnt lift it. Hauled it out of the woods with the ranger, then used pipes to roll it into the area, measured it and dug out a spot for it, then used a big pry bar to slide it into position. the pic doesnt do it justice. Here is a couple pics of it. I finished about 8:30 Saturday night and by the time I had the tools picked up, the boys had it full of twigs & sticks, so we had our first fire. Was great!! I'll buck up some standing dead pine and we will use that thing a ton.

Attachments

• 101_3498.jpg
    101_3498.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 683
  • 101_3499.jpg
    101_3499.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 658
Very nice work, enjoy it!

Looks great but I wonder how long that tree will survive with half of its root base burriend under rock. I'm no expert that was just my initial observation. Looks awesome.

Beautiful Work Ray

Does look awesome - I like the pond in the back ground too. Nice looking place.

My thoughts were also about cooking the roots of that tree so close.

The random laid stone is beautiful work. Great work.

That looks like a spectacular spot to spend some quiet, quality time.

Thanks, it is alot of work but I enjoy it. That tree is a huge pin oak, it was there before the house was built 55 years ago and other than the 'patio' that rock has been there over 50 years. I wondered about burning the roots, but I really dont think thats an issue, tho I really wouldnt complain to have to buck that thing into wood for the Summit. IF it dies in my life time.
We spend alot of time outdoors around the house. My primary focus is having a wonderful place to raise 2 young boys in the outdoors...right at home. so far, its been working out nice.
Thanks for all the great comments.

Ray, I don't think you'll burn the roots. The heat goes up, not down. Yes, it will go down a bit but not much; just ask those guys who ice fish and use stoves.

Nicely done and you'll have much enjoyment from all that labor.

It will go down further than you might think.

I made a make shift fire ring for a back yard camp out. I used a 2 + inch thick concrete block (used to set A/C units on) and the fire cooked the grass and dirt down about 1 foot beneath the fire. Still can't get anything to grow in that spot.

The good thing about that huge pin oak is - I am sure it has massive roots and should be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.