New PE Summit Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelson

Feeling the Heat
Dec 5, 2013
Mount Horeb, WI
Well, I finally bit the bullet. After a year of research, and reading every just about everything I could find on this site, I was finally in a position to make the purchase.

Check here for details on my house and decision criteria.

So far, I'm very impressed. This thing is a beauty and can push the heat. I finally loaded her up about 80% (after several smaller break-in fires) tonight. Here she is in action.

I did a little bit of a smaller load last night (say 65% or so full). Loaded up around 7:15pm pm. Checked this morning at 7:15am and I had a 4" by 4" nice red hot coal still left. :)

We will see what we have left tomorrow morning after this slightly fuller load.

A big thanks to everyone on this board for all the great info. This site has been invaluable in the whole process!

Reactions: jaychino415
I'm happy to hear everything is working as you had hoped. The more stories I read about the Summit the happier I am about my own decision to own one. Ten days to go before my install day.

I'm happy to hear everything is working as you had hoped. The more stories I read about the Summit the happier I am about my own decision to own one. Ten days to go before my install day.

I think you're going to be happy. My big concern going in was the status of my wood supply. It isn't as seasoned as I would like. Most of it is running in the low 20s with some of the bigger splits sitting at 25%. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the Summit is handling it. I'm probably not getting max heat output but I'm happy with it. I can't wait to see what this thing can do with some properly seasoned wood!

I can see you have a C model if you would be so kind as to measure the distance underneath the widest point at the top of either side (I call it the wing) to the fan shroud. It looks like it is about 3 1/2 inches. I'm making a custom surround and the metal I'm looking at is 6" wide. I have to have the two sides ready as they must be installed as the unit is being inserted into the firebox, the top cross piece can be done later. Thanks, Mike

This image is with the fan shroud off looking up from the bottom of the right side as you face it.

Attachments

• IMG_0654a.jpg
    IMG_0654a.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 158
I can see you have a C model if you would be so kind as to measure the distance underneath the widest point at the top of either side (I call it the wing) to the fan shroud. It looks like it is about 3 1/2 inches. I'm making a custom surround and the metal I'm looking at is 6" wide. I have to have the two sides ready as they must be installed as the unit is being inserted into the firebox, the top cross piece can be done later. Thanks, Mike

This image is with the fan shroud off looking up from the bottom of the right side as you face it.

You bet. I measure 3.75"

Bummer, my 6" metal is going to be 1" too wide to fit. thanks
I just talked to the metal company and was informed they can cut the stock size down to any size I need. I lucked out again.

Last edited:
Yes, cutting it down is a piece of cake with a big metal shear.

Glad to hear you are happy with your PE. My wife and I are also considering the Summit, so its good to hear the positive reviews. I'm leaning towards a Jotul F55 wood stove, but if my wife wins out and we get the Summit, its nice to hear its a good performer.

As long as you keep the splits far enough away from the glass, it will stay clean for a while.
If you load up onto the ledge, the splits will offgas onto the glass and haze/dirty it up.
That is loading north to south of course.

Reactions: Nelson
As long as you keep the splits far enough away from the glass, it will stay clean for a while.
If you load up onto the ledge, the splits will offgas onto the glass and haze/dirty it up.
That is loading north to south of course.

I've been loading exclusively N/S with 16" splits. Not sure I would go any bigger with the splits loading N/S. Happy with the burns, so far...

18" fits okay. I have had longer up to the glass at times.
I been doing 16s to 18s and they work nice. Of course when it is single digits, I want a fuller load more than cleaner glass.
You'll know if you have a wet pc loading north to south, it will spit & sputter all over the glass.
The Summit cleans it's glass pretty well too with a hot fire.

Last edited:
I think they sit just down inside

Well, first burn season with the Summit is done. At this point, I have no regrets with the purchase. I was forced to burn some marginal wood for about 50% of the season and while it wasn't necessarily fun, I found a way to make it work. I cleaned the pipe a few weeks back and only had about a cup or so worth of creosote so I was very happy. Was able to burn a face cord of pretty dry cherry toward the end of the season and the difference was amazing. So much less fussing with the stove to keep it running efficiently.

All in all, still very happy with my purchase. Have some really nice wood for next season and I'm already starting to get the itch!

Thanks for the update. That's a great heater. It's good to hear that it has done a good job this cold winter. A cup of sote is nothing.

Tremendous heater. I did have to mod the outer shield top plate as the cut outs that were there fell out. Some sheet metal and some rivets did the trick.

Yes, I was surprised by the small amount of soot I found. I really thought, given the quality of the wood I was burning, that it would be much worse.

Well, first burn season with the Summit is done. At this point, I have no regrets with the purchase. I was forced to burn some marginal wood for about 50% of the season and while it wasn't necessarily fun, I found a way to make it work. I cleaned the pipe a few weeks back and only had about a cup or so worth of creosote so I was very happy. Was able to burn a face cord of pretty dry cherry toward the end of the season and the difference was amazing. So much less fussing with the stove to keep it running efficiently.

All in all, still very happy with my purchase. Have some really nice wood for next season and I'm already starting to get the itch!

Sounds awesome! I have a ranch that I'm going to heat from the basement also. Curious how well your Summit warmed the main level of your home? Did it get too warm to be downstairs when it was cranking? Did you check the temps on each floor? Thanks!

Hey BsFire-

We have a fairly large house. ~2000 SF on the lower level (lower exposed - half is underground, other half is exposed) and ~2000 SF on the main level. Stove is in the lower level. Lower level is fairly open so a lot of space to heat. As long as it's not too cold (say 15F and above), I can get the lower level in the mid 70s. Same conditions, much of main level will be 69-70F. I'm pretty happy with that. Warm air seems to move upstairs without much assistance. I do place a fan at the bottom of the stairs and have it pointed at the stove.

I've never had it too warm in the lower level. to be fair, I haven't used the stove very often when it's in the 40s so I suspect I could get a few more degrees in those conditions. Also, my lower level floor is not insulated so I'm losing heat there. If I had a an insulated floor down there, I'm guessing I could gain a few degrees easily.

Hope that helps!

Hey BsFire-

We have a fairly large house. ~2000 SF on the lower level (lower exposed - half is underground, other half is exposed) and ~2000 SF on the main level. Stove is in the lower level. Lower level is fairly open so a lot of space to heat. As long as it's not too cold (say 15F and above), I can get the lower level in the mid 70s. Same conditions, much of main level will be 69-70F. I'm pretty happy with that. Warm air seems to move upstairs without much assistance. I do place a fan at the bottom of the stairs and have it pointed at the stove.

I've never had it too warm in the lower level. to be fair, I haven't used the stove very often when it's in the 40s so I suspect I could get a few more degrees in those conditions. Also, my lower level floor is not insulated so I'm losing heat there. If I had a an insulated floor down there, I'm guessing I could gain a few degrees easily.

Hope that helps!

Once I decide on which insert to go with, it'll go in the basement. I really like the the PE Summit and Blaze Kings. I just haven't had a chance to go see them in person.

Your house is just about the same size as mine and it sounds like the layout is nearly identical - so yes, that helps. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.