New Pellet Choices. Thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris04626

Minister of Fire
Ok i went into Home Depot today and they had the following options

Fire Side Ultra
MWP
American Wood Fibers
Green Supreme

All priced at 209

What are your thoughts on these, which is the best, rate them best to worst

Fire Side Ultra
MWP
American Wood Fibers
Green Supreme

All priced at 209

Ha, you must have gone to the same HD I was in today! Waterville, Maine? I prefer the FSUs the most. MWP are a close 2nd, but dusty. Green Supreme were fine, but ashy. AWF were dusty and ashy. If your stove is working well, they'll all burn fine, with small variations.

no i was in Ellsworth, they usually have mwp or fireside ultra, today they had these 4 brands/ If ran mwp and fireside ultra didnt notice much difference in them, thinking of trying supremes just to see how they do

I run a Harman boiler

FSU...just got the last ton at a HD 25mi from home. Burned them in 2012 and performed well...lots of heat. Reviews this year have been sterling. Will pick up my ton this week and with 35 bags of Stove Chow... that will take me to the end of the cold weather, no problem. Then I will look for some end of season, beginning of the season pellets. I am burning the end of a ton of MWP (bag 38 in the hopper and 9 more left. These have been a good choice for the beginning and end of the season. Anything below 20 degrees and you'll freeze. Went through a ton of Green "Urine" and lots of ash and weak in the heat department. These were bought for the end and beginning of the season back in 2012. Pellets here are $219 ton....we'll never see the $209 again.

Last edited:
How do the green supremes rate?
I got 3 tons of then and so far in my harman they doing outstanding. One inch ash line. In the stove I traded in a enviro 3 they would ash really bad from the top feeder. Maybe it was the stove but thus far like a charm in the harman. I also liked the fact that the bags are clear and last year got a few bad bags in a different white bag and brand that I didn't see was all dust on the bottom.So will get the green next year if they have.

Fire Side Ultra
MWP
American Wood Fibers
Green Supreme

All priced at 209

FSU is best for sure IMHO. I would probably take Green Supreme over the other two which are about equal, if I had no choice.

I bought a few bags of Statesman (the Southern States brand; $5.19/bag) which appear to be manufactured by American Wood Fibers. Turmans are my pellet of choice, but I wasn't up for a 70 mile round-trip to get more this past weekend. I'm hanging on to the remaining 1/2 ton of Turmans I currently have.

As for the Statesman variety, I'm pleasantly surprised by the good heat, low dust, and low ash so far.

They are labeled as "premium hardwood" and there is a stamp of what appears to be a date of "10/2012" near the UPC code on the bag.

If the remaining bags finish strong, I'll get a ton and report later on overall performance.

Fire Side Ultra
MWP
American Wood Fibers
Green Supreme

All priced at 209

Our HD (Mohegan lake, NY) just stocked Heat Resource "Premium Oak Hardwood Pellets" at $4.18/bag. Brought a few home yesterday for a test drive and put the first bag in this morning. Great heat, jury is still out on ash level and glass seems OK so far - or at least on par with other pellets. Worth a try if you see them.

Just bought 10 bags of FSU today at HD. Trying them out right now. Hoping for the best.

Just bought 10 bags of FSU today at HD. Trying them out right now. Hoping for the best.

Having burned these "new" Heat Resource pellets overnight I have decided they are just fine. Glass is clean, heat is great. There does seem to be a bit more fly ash - but maybe I am just watching more closely.

Just finished 1 bag of FSU decent heat,but really dirty. With 1 bag my glass was black. At $ 219 a ton I rather go with team green at $275 a ton.....

FSUs are the best in the list, Green Supremes are the worst (rebadged NEWPS...which suck)

Reactions: Danny9909
im on my third test bag of the heat resource pellets. it's my last. They are burning ok compared to my green supremes they are a bit hotter. not by much. There is definitely more fly ash. i noticed this right away and proved it tonight. before i burned the first bag i did the leaf blower. normally after 2 bags, if i do the leaf blower again its not very productive. After 2 bags of heat resource it was. So less ash in the burnpot but more in the rest of the stove.

I wouldnt be unhappy tho if my stash consisted of these. my stove seems to burn anything pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.