new pellet furnace owner with install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cds11

Dec 27, 2011
ohio
well i went ahead and traded for the pellet furnace. i will probably finish out the season with the wood furnace and install the pellet furnace later this year. as soon as i got the furnace home i completely ripped it apart and fired up the shop vac and air compressor. everything looks to be in good shape. i dont know if i can wait till later this year to install.lol. i also cant wait to stock up on pellets this summer. i have room to store 4 tons in my 2 1/2 car garage. ok, heres my one and only question, i recently installed a 6" x 25' ss chimney liner in my homes masonary chimney. can i connect the 3" vent from the pellet furnace to the 6" chimney liner? here is what the manual says,

MAXIMUM VENTING DISTANCE
Installation MUST include at least 3-feet of vertical pipe. This will create some natural draft to reduce the possibility of
smoke or odor during appliance shutdown and keep exhaust from causing a nuisance or hazard by exposing people or
shrubs to high temperatures. The maximum recommend vertical venting height is 12-feet for 3-inch type “PL†vent. Total
length of horizontal vent MUST NOT exceed 4-feet. Use no more than 180 degrees of elbows (two 90-degree elbows,
or two 45-degree and one 90-degree elbow, etc.) to maintain adequate draft.
PELLET VENT TYPE
A UL listed 3-inch or 4-inch type “PL†pellet vent exhaust system must be used for installation and attached to the pipe
connector provided on the back of the furnace (use a 3-inch to 4-inch adapter for 4-inch pipe). Use 4-inch vent if the vent
height is over 12-feet or if the installation is over 2,500 feet above sea level.
We recommend the use of Simpson Dura-Vent® or Metal-Fab® pipe (if you use other pipe, consult your local building
codes and/or building inspectors). Do not use Type-B Gas Vent pipe or galvanized pipe with this unit. The pellet vent
pipe is designed to disassemble for cleaning and should be checked several times during the burning season. Pellet
vent pipe is not furnished with the unit and must be purchased separately.

youre probably going to get more help over at iburncorn.com on that stove. i think it has a better following over there. i was thinking about getting one and stumbled across alot of info there. i recall it is imperative to have very good cold air return, not to be confused with outside air kit. anyway take a gander over there.

Glad to see you finally got it.

Some.people have vented up existing Class A chimney. There are adapters that are sold to go from 3" pr 4" to 6" or 8" Class A. But those are for Class A.

I dont know about a liner. Especially one that long. The ash build up would be significant. In my opinion.

Glad its finally home. Guessing you seen it with a "Fire in the Belly"? Hope it all works out for ya.

Worst case scenario, you have to use 4" Pellet vent going out (or 3" depending on length of run) the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.