New pellet insert, to be installed on Monday :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakethepup

Aug 3, 2008
Central Kentucky
Just like the title says, on Monday about 5:00 P.M the installer is coming to put my new pellet insert in. I just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago.

I would like to thank everyone here for their input about the pellet stoves and I sure hope I love it. If not I guess there is always E-bay lol. With all the research I have done, and all the post I have read I think I will like it.

I am going to take before and after pictures and post them here on the forum if I can figure that out. So wish me luck, however the temp here is going to be in the 80's Monday so not sure how long I can test the insert. It is warm enough that the solar panels for the pool is coming on and heating the pool, that is another project to shut the pool down for the season.

Get the camera out :)

I got the camera ready, and the fireplace cleaned out, had to clean the electric logs and candle holders and the wax that had dripped down in there. Yes, electric logs, I had very few fires in the fireplace, too dirty to clean up after, lots of mess and little to no real heat came out of the fireplace. I honestly believe that it took more heat out of the house when I built a fire. So I put electric logs in there, and if the room was somewhat dark, it kind of look like a real fire, and the electric logs have sound. I sure someday they will make electric logs with a surround sound. LOL

Everything is cleaned out and I use the central vac to clean up in the chimmey as far as I could reach so it should be good and clean for the installer on Monday.

I took a couple of pictures this morning of before so when the install is done on Monday I will post the before and after.

Well, my install did not get done on Monday, the installer had some type of family problems and did not make it. So he said it would be one day this week, he told me he will call and try again. What a bummer, but I don't need the heat right now any way, just kind of wanted to get it done.

I will update when it gets installed.

Sorry to here that. Got mine installed yesterday. Nothing like test burning on 88 degree day :coolhmm: . Don't look like you will need it this week. Highs 85-90 and lows around 60. Looks like its going to be one of those Kentucky ....Summer straight to Winter years.

lecomte38 said:
what brand of insert? Did Harman finally come thru?

Not a Harman, I started too late in the season to find one of those, I purchased a Sierra, not sure how good they are, because I could not find a soul on here who had one. So I guess I will either love it or hate it, might be a great insert or something I would not carry home. But time will tell I guess. But good or bad, I sure will let you guys know.

kyburn,

It is warm here enough that solar pool heater came on and was heating up the water in the pool. Here they as high of 85, looks like the same for the whole week on rain.

Kyburn,

Curious did they put a liner in all the way up from your fireplace, did they put something in the damper and any type of cap on top. Those type of thing, my install say he has to look at everythng first.

Thanks, Jake

Mine is freestanding stove and direct vent.

Jakethepup said:
lecomte38 said:
what brand of insert? Did Harman finally come thru?

Not a Harman, I started too late in the season to find one of those, I purchased a Sierra, not sure how good they are, because I could not find a soul on here who had one. So I guess I will either love it or hate it, might be a great insert or something I would not carry home. But time will tell I guess. But good or bad, I sure will let you guys know.

Being that this isn't a real common brand, did you at least ask him to give you some "references"?.....people that bought that brand and would be willing to vouch for the quality, operation, etc, etc.?

I really do hope you have great luck with it, and report to everyone here about it....we need as many reputable, quality stove manufacturers as we can get.

Macman,

To answer your question about references I did not get any. I first started my search for a Pellet Insert in August and that is how I happened onto this forum. I first started looking around at the local Box stoves Lowes, Home Depot and those types of stores, and the more I looked I decided that, I really wanted to find a local dealer and have them install it, since I have no experience with installation and I want a dealer to do the install, one of my major considers was insurance. Any way to make a long story short I went to one dealer that was semi-local and he sold Sierra, I did not purchase from him which would be another long story. But the second place I went also sold the Sierra, and it was in-stock and all I had to do is wait until his pellet supply came in to get the install done. And the one he had was nickel trimmed which I wanted. After putting down my deposit I asked the question here about if anyone had a Sierra, stove insert, the answer I got was nope.

So the old saying might be true a fool and his money will soon part. So I am hoping that the dealer is a man of his word, and the brand of insert is reliable and a good made stove, and the dealer told me several times, that he factory serviced what he sells. So it could be a lousy stove, or a great stove and a lousy dealer. So my hopes are this, if the guys sells this for a living which he does, not a sideline, has a store front which he does, sells other fireplaces inserts wood, electric and other items that he knows what he is talking about. Since I have no working knowledge, never used a pellet stove, mater of fact I have never even seen one burn other than on youtube. I am at the mercy of this dealer.

But when it does get installed I sure will report back and tell you how everything went. And if I can figure it out I will post pictures. Now is far as real burning that is going to take sometime, because the tempature here is just too warm to have a fire going for very long. I am guessing that the dealer will show me the features of the insert, maybe problems to look for, some cleaning tips and fire it up to make sure it works.

On Friday my installer called and the install is going to be this Monday at 5:00 P.M. maybe this time it will get installed. I sure hope so, if it does happen I will up-date plus put some pictures up for you to see.

Crossing fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.