New pellet stove help...thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Hey folks,

Long time wood burner here.. At the wife's request I'm adding a pellet stove to my home this fall.

After much reading here, it appears some are thermostatically controlled. She's worried about feeding the wood stove, and I work nights. I load it up before I head to work but she likes the idea of "on" and forget it. I'll of course do the feeding and cleaning.

I would like a free stander, that will turn on at a certain temp, and off at a certain temp. I understand that some stoves do this. I have my eye on the Englander line due to the price, and understand they can be fitted with a thermo. My question is, do they have the auto on and off function? Or does it just control output.

Not looking to break the bank here. We plan to live in this home one more year then sell. The pellet stove will be an attractive selling point due to no centeral heating system except the stove and baseboard electric heat. My price range is about 1,500.

I'll do the install myself. I already have the chimney lined with a 6 inch SS rigid liner for a small jotul 602 we installed 5 years ago. It works okay, but it's just not easy for her to run. Happy wife, happy life. I'm set up with pellet flex pipe and the proper connections to connect to the 6 inch. (Getting these questions out of the way, because if I know hearth.com like I do, someone will ask) :)

The pellet stove will heat when I'm not home to feed the wood stove, or when I just don't feel like it..

Dustin

My stove has 3 modes: manaul, smartstat and t-stat. In the manual mode it will continue to burn at whatever setting you leave it at. In smartstat mode, the stove will burn at whatever level you set on the control pad until it reaches the thermostat set point. It then goes into a very low burn which is basically just enough to keep a fire going in the burnpot. If after 1 hour, the thermostat hasn't called for heat, the stove will completely shutdown. Tstat mode works just like smartstat except that there is no time limit to how long it will stay in low burn state.

The thing you want to try an avoid is the stove cycling all the way on an off too frequently or you risk prematurely wearing out your igniter.

I would like a free stander, that will turn on at a certain temp, and off at a certain temp. I understand that some stoves do this. I have my eye on the Englander line due to the price, and understand they can be fitted with a thermo. My question is, do they have the auto on and off function? Or does it just control output.
With some of the Englander stove models, you can select whether the stove uses on/off mode or high/low mode. I think the others are on/off only. If you want to see what a particular model will do, you can download the manual from their web site .

My Quad has only the on/off mode. In mild weather, I set the stove to a lower heat level. The room will take a bit longer to come up to temperature, but it will cycle on/off far less often.

Status
Not open for further replies.