New pellet stove owner, Enviro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dayk995

Dec 17, 2014
Vermont
Hi there.

My wife and I just bought our first house and the primary source of heat is the pellet stove (with electric back up that we don't want to touch).

I have never used a pellet stove as of a week ago when we moved in. I some pretty basic questions:

1) The stove is an Enviro (don't know the model off the top of my head) and is roughly 8 years old. Is that old? How much life should I expect left? (works fine at the moment, no problems)

2) It's safe to run all day right? What I've been doing is running it pretty low while we're at work.

3) If it's running constantly, how does one clean it? Sometimes the ash builds up so much that it turns the stove off automatically. What I've been doing is just shutting it down, cleaning it and starting it back up but it takes a while for the flame to catch again.

4) Do the pellet stove pipes need to be cleaned often? Similar to a chimney sweep? If so, how do you go about that?
Any other basic information or tips would be helpful as well. Thanks!

Lastly, I'm someone who loves crunching numbers so I created this graph that lets you see how many bags you need to burn to hit a certain date (given, you know how many bags you have). Hopefully it's useful to someone other than just me.
http://dayobject.me/apps/pellet_stove_graph

You should go to the stoves manufactures site and download a manual. Read it, then maybe read it again. It will-should tell of recommended cleaning times. There may even be some instructional videos available thru youtube. Several Enviro users here on the site.
Welcome

I had an Enviro Windsor that lasted 9 years. Just sold it. Been running fine, a little picky on the pellets it uses but good heat output for under 1000 square feet. Read your manual.

Welcome! Take care of it and it will last as long as you do. Read, Research online and here, Read some more and then take Bio's advice full of pellet stove wisdom and reread........ Good Luck! Also when starting a thread and asking questions be specific about what you are looking for or trying to figure out and listing your stove brand & mode is keyl. You'll get more hits and better responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.