New pellet stove owner, has questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bxpellet

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2007
Bronx, NY
Ok, I am new at this, purchased Harman advance in late august, paid $3,300 for stove and vent pipe up and out with thimble, tried to get him to go lower, wouldn't budge on number, gave me a free ton of pellets with purchase, I think it was a good deal. for my area, NYC, every company I call for install wanted $500.00 or more for installation, did it myself, followed all directions carefully, Vent-pipe clearance said 3" gave it 5" Thimble( NYC approved) said 1" gave it 2 1/2" . Followed building code and manufactures requirements, later found out Harmans not a approved NYC stove no MEA number,called store they called Harman they said they are working on it. Thelin is approved but I think they look like fire hydrants. That's enough history I will post pictures when I get a chance. My question is should I hook up out side air. house is Brand new, Stove is in open area on first floor, where is the best place to put thermostat's wire, why does one side of glass get dirty. As I think of them I will ask more questions, Love the web site found it very useful, Are there any other NYC pellet stove owners out there or am I the only one?

I assume since the house is new it is tightly constructing begin in NYC? If so, you will probably get better performance with outside air, and wont run into negative pressure issues in the house.

I am not familiar with that unit exactly, but if it is similar to others I have worked on the exhaust must travel down and out one of the sides behind the baffle plates and then over the top and down and out the other side. This can sometimes make the glass get worse on the side all the exhaust is being pulled to.

Yes,outside air is best for all I have heard & read. I switched my stove to fresh air intake this year also.

So far I haven't had a problem with negative pressure but the furnace isn't running yet, when I turn that on it sucks the basement door shut, stove is on first floor, I wonder if they will fight which other? the glass gets dirty on the side of the fresh air port. NYC Building dept. say to use outside side air. So far we are happy with the stove.

Air intake on th left exhaust on the right.
It's always gonna dirty up the left bay first then the center. I think it has to do with the pattern of holes in the burnpot (more on left side then on right).
This time of year the glass gets dirty quicker cause the stove is in maintenance burn most of the time, till it gets roaring you may have to keep the holes clear a bit more..
If the house is brand new why isn't there a fresh air intake for the furnace?

My plummber that install everything, said the basement was large and cool enough that it wasn't required, he self certified everything because plummber inspector never shows up,NYC building dept. is over work and under staffed, can't get him back after my project he passed away. You have a advance do you have fresh air hook up?

No I was told not to worry about it too :shut:
If I only new...
I have a FHA furnace that has been off for 5 years I had fresh air being drawn up through all the registers by my stove.
Yep those registers went to the cool basement (fieldstone..what can I say)...... My rooms were warm but my feet always seemed cold because of the makeup air being drawn across the floor. So I disconnected furnace and sealed up all ducts this allowed the makeup air to be pulled up from the gap under the basement door which is near the stove. Feet are happy now :cheese:

DISCLAIMER:
I am not recommending that anyone shove insulation into the ductwork of their heating system, as this is an unsafe practice should someone try to turn on the furnace..... :coolsmile:

As far as I am cincerned the FHA frunace system works fine, I purchased the stove to offset the cost of Con ed bill, And to kepp the 86 year old father in law happy he has been walking around with long johns since late august, Back to the Harman advance are you happy with it, does it keep your house warm in very cold weather, how many tons of pellets did you use last winter, did you hook up fresh air,do you think that fake long set could make the glass dark, Sorry to ask so many question you are the only one that I know now that has a advance,

Thank you in Advance Ha Ha Ha

BXpellet said:
Back to the Harman advance are you happy with it,Yes
does it keep your house warm in very cold weather, yes 78 in room with stove about 74 in surrounding rooms 68 upstairs(bedrooms) and the FHA is off
how many tons of pellets did you use last winter,3.5 last year 4 in normal winters
did you hook up fresh air,no but wish I did
do you think that fake long set could make the glass dark, yes it will it interferes with the airwash
Sorry to ask so many question you are the only one that I know now that has a advance,no problem but there are more advance owners and dealers here
Thank you in Advance Ha Ha Ha

BXpellet said:
So far I haven't had a problem with negative pressure but the furnace isn't running yet, when I turn that on it sucks the basement door shut, stove is on first floor, I wonder if they will fight which other? the glass gets dirty on the side of the fresh air port. NYC Building dept. say to use outside side air. So far we are happy with the stove.

your furnace does that ! , YES ,install outside air, furnace could probably us it as well! if not when you do have the furnace kick on they will both be competing for air that apparantly isnt plentiful enough for either of them , probably would help with the glass soot issue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.