New Pellet Stove Owner here XXV heating problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bohle said:
so you think once I get the switch I should be in business!?
Hey Bohle, Can you hear a fan blowing while the stove is running ?

Sorry about the long delay in posts, No internet at home (love the country...).

I had the guy out to look at the stove Thurs. He hooked up his little machine to tell me if everything was working. He said everything seemed fine. He said that the probe was too close to the stove. So I took his advice and moved it. I hooked up a programmable thermostat and put it about 25 feet away in the kitchen. Right now it keeps the house at about 71-74 and uses 2 bags in 24 hours.

I would be interested in other pellets. I got my stove and pellets from Paragon Energy in Kzoo.

I read in the local paper someone selling a ton of "hardwood pellets" for 120$ a ton but you have to buy a minimum of 5 tons. I was going to call and see if I could buy 10 bags and try.

2 bags in 24 hours isn't great but this is a start at least. I think I am going to try stove mode soon.

Thank you

Bohle said:
Sorry about the long delay in posts, No internet at home (love the country...).

I had the guy out to look at the stove Thurs. He hooked up his little machine to tell me if everything was working. He said everything seemed fine. He said that the probe was too close to the stove. So I took his advice and moved it. I hooked up a programmable thermostat and put it about 25 feet away in the kitchen. Right now it keeps the house at about 71-74 and uses 2 bags in 24 hours.

I would be interested in other pellets. I got my stove and pellets from Paragon Energy in Kzoo.

I read in the local paper someone selling a ton of "hardwood pellets" for 120$ a ton but you have to buy a minimum of 5 tons. I was going to call and see if I could buy 10 bags and try.

2 bags in 24 hours isn't great but this is a start at least. I think I am going to try stove mode soon.

Thank you
Two bags in 24 hrs is normal for me ( cape cod, stove installed in basement). If it's warm I do a little better. Try stove mode, works here.
Did you ask Paragon why there is no switch and why you don't have much air flow? Your temp etc. doesn't sound too bad.
ProPellet is supposedly the same as Magic Spark. I use the MS but I think they are better. If you want max heat around here get some of the Uncle Jeds cold remedy pellets. They have 3 grades. The top grade is the same as the Pinnacle Pellet which I have used. They are very hot and low ash. Also big $$ The softwood pellets are the hottest. Often they are 1/3 more than what I use. If they don't last 1/3 longer I can't justify it personally but that's up to you.
Keep us posted. Let me know what brand the cheap hardwood pellets are. Might be a home brew which means stay away.

Price sheet from where I get mine Smart energy site

My dealer has a burning model of the XXV with the rocker switch. Don't quite understand the purpose of the switch and the XXV manual says nothing about it. My P43 does not have one just curious as why it is there.

I feel it is doing better, I burn 2 bags a day (still I feel it is a little high considering the weather has been 25-36F). I also hooked it up to a programmable thermostat so I have it turn down to 62 degrees when no one is home and back up to 71 when we are home. Also down at bed time.

Furnace hasn't kicked on since I got the stove.

Bohle said:
I feel it is doing better, I burn 2 bags a day (still I feel it is a little high considering the weather has been 25-36F). I also hooked it up to a programmable thermostat so I have it turn down to 62 degrees when no one is home and back up to 71 when we are home. Also down at bed time.

I think the two bags a day is reasonable for a stove that size and a space that size, the only stoves that burn a bag a day are the smallest, usually in a smaller space.

Bohle said:

how did you hook it up into a programmable thermostat? I have one for my heat pump, can I use that?

Status
Not open for further replies.