New Castile Insert Pellet Stove Owner Needs Answers Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimT004

Feb 21, 2013
Well, kinda new. This will be the 2nd year of owning a Castile Insert. First year, everything was great. I have just a couple questions. 1. I have been online checking out the maintenance videos and notice that most stoves have the rope door gasket that travels around the glass on all four sides. My Castile only has the rope gasket on the top and sides of the glass. Is this right or should it be on all four sides? I ask this because of my next question. When i start my stove, the house fills with a smoke odor. Sometimes faint, sometimes a lot. Is this because of the rope gasket? Does it need replacing and does it need to be all around the glass and not only on 3 sides? Or am I doing something wrong to make the house smell smokey?

Hi JimT004, welcome to the forums. I am new as well kind of...as of last year. I also have a Castile insert, and yes, it is supposed to only have the gasket on three sides. The one side is open for the "Air-wash" feature of the stove where a small amount of air is let in via the gap on the bottom where there is no gasket to keep air moving over the glass to keep it cleaner (somewhat). So it is designed to be that way.

I sometimes get a faint smoke smell for a very short time when it it starting up, but it is very minor, and you would have to be standing right next to the stove to smell it. There are lots a places around the burn pot area (the ash pan, holes in the front for the burnpot clean-out handle, etc) that a small amount of smoke smell could get out as well.

All that being said, the combustion blower creates a vacuum and should blow most of the smoke out the exhaust. Have you clean the piping that goes out the chimney (or whatever). There could be an obstruction, but if there was the vacuum switch should trip and it wouldn't stay running.

I would make sure everything is clean and ready to go, and honestly I think it is common to have a slight smoke smell for the first few minutes of the startup sequence, but maybe I am wrong about that...and somebody will correct me.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Of course you could also have a slight leak in your exhaust venting where it connects to the stove too...but I think you would smell it the entire time it was burning, not just at startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.