New pellet stove recomendations.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hangfire

Oct 24, 2016
Northern California
Howdy everyone. New user on his board, hope I don't start tight off stepping into it. I am ready to buy a freestanding pellet stove for a 1200 sqft apartment above my shop. The area is insulated and has double paned windows. I didn't realize there would be such a range of prices on stoves. I haven't owned a pellet stove, but have heated with wood everywhere I have lived. Including a ten year stint of cutting, splitting and hauling wood, for wood only heating in a drafty old uninsulated farmhouse.

I am handy with tools and understand and am capable of maintenance and upkeep. I am asking for any recommendations for size and brand of stove to install. I have owned Lopi and Jotul woodstoves.
The nearest Harmon dealer is 150 miles away, we have a local dealer in Lopi. I live on the coast in northern California not extremely cold here, but damp. The pellet stove would be the only heatbsource. I would like to be able to use a wall mounted thermostat.

I like what I read about Harman, would not being near a dealer be a problem? How would a Lopi agp compare with a Harman p43 not so much in output, but in quality and usability. Any opinions on Harmon Absolute43? What is the deal with those $800-1200 Home Depot units why do cheap, what are they lacking?

Alrighty, thanks in advance.
Steve

Honestly for the cost of the stove and pellets your way better off installing a dual heat/cool mini spilt, there under $1000 plus install, Who will be living in this apartment?, you dont need all the hassles of cleaning and carrying bag's/loading/caring for the stove,
I don't want to see you spend alot of money only to realize this isn't for you

I don't know anything about Lopi's, but Harman P-series (such as the P43) are really good stoves. Someone else will need to chime in on the Absolutes - but I don't recall hearing anything bad about them. If you are handy, and decide on Harman, I would buy used if possible as Harman's are tanks and they are easy to upkeep, hard to break, and parts are everywhere on the web. However, the fact that the closest dealer is 150 miles away could be an issue if you decide that you need expert help. I wouldn't worry about that too much though because you have US ;). I have a P43 that I bought used and run off a thermostat. But you can also run off the room probe (as I do my P61). Maintenance is easy and straight forward and in your climate probably wouldn't be very often.

Many people have really good luck with the Big Box Store stoves. Once again since you are handy, those might do well for you. They are said to have really good customer service (by phone). Some of those stoves don't have an ash pan, so you would literally have to shut down and clean out every day. So, if you go that route, make sure you know if the stove you chose has the amenities you want.

Pellet King, California has some very high electrical rates and that may be the reason for other heat source but that said one probably still needs cooling too.

Steve there are many options. What is your main use of said space? Are you using it or will it be rented? There are many pellet stoves that will work for you. Do you need AC there in the summer or is it cool enough or will you just use a window unit? There are many stoves that will handle your 1,200 SQ FT without any problem especially out there with milder winters.

It really is about your budget of what you are willing to spend. You can not go wrong with a Harman but for a space like that I'd also look into some other stoves possibly. If you are handy I would not be very concerned about the dealer being 150 miles away. Many here never mess with or rely on dealers and just order parts online and do repairs themselves. It is way cheaper and you will not need to mess with a good quality stove for years anyway. New that is. If you buy used then you may need to do some.

Can you give more details on what your expectations and use will be? What about AC and how is the 1,200 SQ FT laid out? Is it open or a bunch of walls etc?

Reactions: bogieb
Great, thank you for the responses. I will be living there. Haha, my wife got the house. As for a/c believe it or not, it's rarely installed in this area. We are coastal and way up north. The shop below is actually heated with a propane fired 93% furnace. It could easily be used to heat the upper level. Technically that is the primary heat source for the whole building. I am just trying to avoid firing up the big heater when I just need to heat the upper floor.

The top floor layout is almost wide open, like a 1200 sqft studio apartment. Gabled dormers with high ceilings. So I guess what I am after is the dry heat and ambience of a wood stove with out the hassle of firewood. Also a backup heat source that is not propane. I realize that there might be more efficient ways to heat the area, but I want to use a pellet stove. I don't want one of those modern looking appliances.

Pretty much any pellet stove currently on the market should heat that no problem. You say your handy so that's a big plus as far as installation and maintenance so it really comes down to budget and features, like having an ashpan, do you plan on hooking it up to a thermostat, will you be able to fill the hopper daily, are you fine with cleaning it every 1- 3 days ( depending on use )or are you looking to go longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.