new pellets (to me)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
My local grocery store stocks PA pellets at $280 a ton. Anyone ever try these?

Also found allegheny pellets at a local stove shop at $270 a ton, again anyone try these?

Thanks!

dhungy said:
My local grocery store stocks PA pellets at $280 a ton. Anyone ever try these?

Also found allegheny pellets at a local stove shop at $270 a ton, again anyone try these?

Thanks!

I will be getting PA's on Saturday. But it will be some time before I can get to them. Hopefully some others will chime in. I think franks burns and sells the PA brand.

I haven't seen Allegheny near me yet. But you never know. Most pellet brands I seen in any single season. Very good to have so many choices. I still remember the days of the one choice only!

If you get a chance to burn them we would like to here what you think.
jay

I am actually going today to scatter buy a bunch of different brands. I hoping to make a decision on my next two tons very soon. I'm leaning towards the tractor supply brand or clean fuel for $229.00 and instantheat for 229.00

Another thing I noticed is that most smaller stores sell individual bags for much much higher than the per ton price. In some cases it will be $6.99 per bag. It makes sense, but lowes and home depot charge the per ton price per bag $4.58 per bag. It makes testing and sampling new brands cost prohibitive.

For now, it doesn't make any sense to test burn pellets that you can't afford to buy by the ton later. Just test burn the ones that are reasonably priced.

IMO, PA Pellets are not great. $280/ton is very $$ for these.

Status
Not open for further replies.