New PF100 is up and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwk44

Jan 24, 2011
Coatesville PA
I just got my Harman PF100 furnace installed this weekend. Life is GOOD! Pix are attached. I'm burning about 2 bags a day. I ducted it in parallel to the existing Carrier Propane unit. I went w/ the 1638 CFM blower and the medium setting is more than enough to heat my 2,500 SF home to 70 degrees.

Attachments

• PICT0261.jpg
    PICT0261.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 852
  • PICT0263.jpg
    PICT0263.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,062
  • PICT0267.jpg
    PICT0267.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 643
  • PICT0271.jpg
    PICT0271.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 665
  • PICT0276.jpg
    PICT0276.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 644
  • PICT0280.jpg
    PICT0280.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 648
dwk,
Nice looking install. The ducts look great. You might want to add a short section to the pellet vent on the outside of your house to keep the soot/fly-ash off your nice white paint. If nothing else keep an eye on it. I have the same outside pellet vent setup as you with but its a bit longer. My house paint is also a very light color. I have not had any problems but others have.

Thanks for all the pictures.

Outsidevent.jpg

I didn't put mine on blocks. I really don't think I need to and I have to check if code requires. But, it's high enough that I am not worried about water.

Is there any baffles in place? since you have a main unit? I have a manual in my PF and in my main uint, I just put in a plate and will have to order a gravity damper/baffle for ease. I can't do a manual due to my setup and I want something that I don't have to worry about.

Hello
I want to install a furnace Harman PF 100. I currently have an electric furnace, and I want to connect in parallel FP 100. Your photos are very good, but is it possible to view pictures of the connection of the two duct furnaces. Do you have installed a register in the plenum of the existing furnace? I need advice for installation in parallel. If you can accurate picture of your connection, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

The more pics posted, the easier it is on us "Furnace Newbies". I can tell you that when going in parallel, you must install back-draft dampers. If i see them correctly, the 2nd peice of ductwork coming off his PF 100 in his pics, is the back-draft damper. (looks like it has "screws" in it) Thats if it looks anything like the dampers that came with mine. Looks like a New house and install, so its harder to see the connections. Just judging by the furnace, the house is not but a few years old. The closer you put the Pellet furnace to the Original Furnace, the easier and cheaper it will be. I think I see most of the connections, but I have a Pellet Furnace that is not hooked up yet, and the more I see and know the better. I am still learning alot, Posts like this one give all of us "Furnace" newbies a lot to learn. Really dont need the furnace till next winter, so I will sit back to watch and learn from the seasind veterans. Got a Great deal on my Furnace and can't wait till next winter. (Yes, I just said that. LOL)

rioskype, DexterDay
There is an abundance of install information in the Harmon PF100 manual. Read through it and you will get a lot of your questions answered. And get a good over-all idea of how to install it. Pictures are okay but the manual will tell you how to install it in your space. That is all I used. And the manual is probably what your local codes require to install it.
Here is the link to the PF100 manual: http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/PF100.pdf

I installed a baffle in the supply plenum of the existing propane fired carrier unit, just above the AC coil, about 12" before it connects to the trunk line duct. There is also a baffle in the supply plenum of the pellet furnace. When I'm using the pf100, the baffle is in place in the propane furnace and that unit is shut down. When I run the AC in summer, I'll remove the drive from the pellet furnace, remove the baffle from the propane unit and install it in the supply line of the pf100. The return drop for the pellet furnace taps into the return trunk line. The new return drop has turning vanes inside the 90 degree elbow. This reduces air turbulence, allowing for more efficient airflow and less noise as it flows into the blower box. The bigger the return, the better. The system works great. I run the 1635 CFM blower on medium and it is more than sufficient to heat 2500 SF of living space to 70 degrees. The blower pulls about 5 amps on medium, 6.7 on high. The blower has a full load amperage rating of 6.9 and you don't want to exceed that metric as it will prematurely burn out the blower. I'm using about 80 lbs of pellets / day. So far, I am more than pleased with the performance. I'm installing an outside air connection next week. You'll need to check the draft that the combustion blower is pulling as well. I have about 16' of vent pipe, 3' straight up to a 'T' and 13' horizontal and the high draft reads .75.

Status
Not open for further replies.