New pickup pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax....never been so disappointed in a truck I spent well over 40K on. The leather seats are junk and have already been replaced once, the fiberglass bed cover lasted 1 year before it self destructed (removed it from vehicle), it's in the shop now for a broken leaf spring, and the mileage is horrible. I use the truck to commute to work, and carry my sons dirt bike to races. The spring shop said the Tundra has an extremely weak suspension, the springs are being made of junk steel in Mexico. Very sad situation for a "new" automobile.
I had the same experience with a 99 tacoma. Very weak springs,bad MPG and it was a 4cy stick.

The OP request was for a half-ton pickup. I posted a link to one for less than 20K earlier in this thread.
http://www.larsondodge.com/auto/new-2014-ram-1500-tradesman/1315435/
True... but I also said I'm driving a quad-cab 4x4 with a towing package. Hence the $40k'ish numbers. :p

You'll find something. If you don't need the V8 I would go for the V6 to save on the gas.
Interesting point, but I'm not sure it's true. I can say my 4.7L V8 gets the same exact mileage as two coworkers who both have 5.7L Hemi's. I can also say that I once owned a Chevy K1500 4x4 with extended cab and 4.3L V6. It was okay around town, with the manual transmission, but couldn't keep up speed on the highways. Even with no load in the bed or trailer, it would drop to 45 mph going up hills on the expressway, and put a trailer on it... 30 mph top speed going up hill.

Just to make everybody feel good. Back in 1971 when I managed a truck leasing fleet a basic 1/2 ton Chevy with V8, auto tranny and AM radio was $2,800. In 1988 my fully dressed 4X4 S-10 Blazer was $4,200. In 1995 the fully optioned out 3/4 ton 4X4 Suburban with 454 was $23,000.

Inflation's a groan. Must be Obama's fault.

Corporate fuel mileage standards is a factor in truck prices. Every manufacturer has to meet a fleet wide mileage standard. If they sell gas hogs they also need to sell high fuel economy cars to offset the gas hogs.

Interesting point, but I'm not sure it's true. I can say my 4.7L V8 gets the same exact mileage as two coworkers who both have 5.7L Hemi's. I can also say that I once owned a Chevy K1500 4x4 with extended cab and 4.3L V6. It was okay around town, with the manual transmission, but couldn't keep up speed on the highways. Even with no load in the bed or trailer, it would drop to 45 mph going up hills on the expressway, and put a trailer on it... 30 mph top speed going up hill.

This is true, more cylinders don't always mean worse fuel economy... nor does it always mean more power. The little v6 compact pickup truck I just bought actually gets similar or even worse fuel economony than some v8 full sizers do these days, because its a 10 year old design that doesn't make use of all the latest tech. Put direct injection, cylinder deactivation, a 6/7/8 speed tranny with a tall overdrive on a big v8 and its amazing what they can achieve. The new aluminum F-150 is probably going to completely embarrass my little truck on fuel economy... at a price.

When we were shopping for Sedans I saw the same trend. v6 midsize family Sedans now getting better MPG than 4 cylinder compacts did in the 90s... all while hauling a lot more weight with a lot more HP to boot. For example - a current generation v6 Accord weighs about 3400lb, has 280hp!! and yet still pulls off 34mpg on the highway. The '82 Accord that was my first car as a teen rarely matched that at a featherweight 2000lb propelled by a tiny 72hp 4 banger.

How times have changed... Think about it, if it where not for all this expensive technology we are paying for now midsize cars would probably get 15mpg and trucks might be measured in gallons per mile..

How times have changed... Think about it, if it where not for all this expensive technology we are paying for now midsize cars would probably get 15mpg and trucks might be measured in gallons per mile..
I used to own a lot of hot rods, all the best in 1970's push-rod technology, and was very excited any time I got better than 8 mpg. I had one truck that actually bottomed out at 2 mpg tooling around town all day in deep snow with 4wd engaged.

Last summer I was looking to replace my 05 Frontier with 170k miles on it. I bought it used in 06 for 22k, the sticker was 35k. Prices have changed though, the Frontiers and especially Tacoma's are holding their value really well. I've always been a proponent of buying used, but at the time it made more sense for me to buy a car to go back and forth to work and keep the truck for weekend duty.

The days of cheap work trucks are long gone. American's love trucks, so the manufacturers have made them as luxurious, or even more so, than most cars. Add in safety and emissions and the price starts to go up. Then figure in that of the 5 most sold vehicles in the USA, 3 of them are trucks. Supply/demand pretty much dictates that we are going to pay for something that's as popular as 1/2 ton trucks. If it wasn't for truck sales, I bet the big 3 would have gone under (or had been bailed out) LONG ago.

The alternative is that most companies offer fleet specials, they usually come out a few years after a new model and tend to be stripped. The only way to get the pricing is through a fleet inquiry.

Last new truck I bought (2003) was a total POS. Have bought used since. Usually fixer uppers with a solid frame . Fix'em and drive them for a year or 2 and sell them usually at what I have into them. Made a pretty phat profit on one. I'll not be slave to the UAW. New ones are overpriced.
I only drive 6-8K miles/year so an uber reliable vehicle is not a must.

I've had my 2011 silverado for about 6 months now and I love it. Paid 22 and it had 50k miles on it. Drives great good in the snow and hauls a load of wood pretty well. Usually buy only dodges but so far so good on this Chevy.

Master Plan may include one of these trucks:

http://www.castriota.net/VehicleSea...483648:2147483647&pageNumber=1&visitedVD=true

Sure they're in Florida but hey, a double cab 2 WD, 1WT Chevy 1500, for under $22,000, not too bad.

The kicker is my mother is moving back north from Florida in August (yeah, thanks ma for the August move date in FL, I'm sure it won't be sweltering) she's leaving most of her stuff there but still has more than she can fit in her Camry. Moving rentals are overkill and to rent a large SUV or van is $500+++. So I'm thinking of buying a truck when I'm down there later this month, then going back in August and driving it home with all her stuff in the back.

Anyone ever try anything like this or have any words of advice / caution on it? I figure, what the heck, I need a truck either way, price is nearly 10G below local numbers, and you only live once.

Make sure YOU can get that price, car dealers are a bunch of con artists that do not disclose everything till they have you on the floor, wouldn't want you to get there and YOUR price end up being $25K.

I would let them run a credit check if need be so it shows you are serious then get them to put that price in writing for YOU.

Make sure YOU can get that price, car dealers are a bunch of con artists that do not disclose everything till they have you on the floor, wouldn't want you to get there and YOUR price end up being $25K.

I would let them run a credit check if need be so it shows you are serious then get them to put that price in writing for YOU.

I'd negotiate the whole thing by phone. Have it signed and paid for before you set foot in the dealer. No surprises. I've noticed that they often list online prices with every incentive possible such as a military discount and they even include trade in allowances! Our only new car purchase was from a deal in NJ. It was a no hassle, no haggle price for below invoice. Zero surprises.

Best option might be to use the dealer in FL to get a better deal out of a local dealer.

What does "WT" mean for that Chevy truck?

Agreed. I have bought a couple new cars over the phone and one by email. Ask to speak to the sales manager. Let them know you are serious and want to make this deal happen. You want a detailed bill of sale with VIN number, a deposit on agreed price and an end date for the contract.

Last edited:
... and then they'll pull the, "this car came into us with pinstriping, which we weren't expecting, but we're going to have to bill you extra for that." I've seen that BS a few times, now...

I *tried* to use TrueCar when buying my taco, but every dealer had excuses for not honoring the price when it came to signing

"I know the website let you configure that but the factory doesn't build it that way, you have to take this one with extra blah blah"
"That price is only for off lot vehicles, we have to order what you want" (you think i dont know you make more money on a special order???)

and so forth...

Since Saturday I've emailed the dealer twice and have got nothing but automated replies in return.
I'll give em the benefit of doubt as it turns out nearly my entire family down there has bought from these guys and love em. Plus they have great Google reviews.
Agreed with the dot the I's and cross the t's while getting everything in writing. Been down that road before.

Work truck

Oh I get it, its just a chevy option package. I had to Google it:

(1WT) is equipped with blacked-out exterior trim, a CornerStep rear bumper, and 17-inch steel wheels. Air conditioning, power windows, power door locks, cruise control, and a tilt steering wheel are standard, as well as a 6-speaker audio system equipped with 2 USB ports, an SD card port, and an auxiliary audio input jack.

THere is a lot of good miles left in todays pickups after they pass the 100k mark. I usually expect another 100-200k can be added to that with no problem. A 10 yr old Silverado 4x4 Ext cab can be had for 10 -15K depending on condition and miles. About a third of new price. Since i use it mostly for work i dont want a truck that im afraid to get dirty or a scratch.

THere is a lot of good miles left in todays pickups after they pass the 100k mark. I usually expect another 100-200k can be added to that with no problem.

That might be true where you are but around here they are completely rotted out in about 10-12 years so it doesn't matter if the motors will go 300k.

Status
Not open for further replies.