New pipe doesn't fit old pipe *!%#*!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I'm hooking my stove up today and went to put the adjustable elbow on the piece (I got new pipe from Woodstock) that passes through my chimney and either that piece is too large or the brand Woodstock sells is too small as it doesn't fit.

I guess I can use my old adjustable elbow and paint it to match but wondering if different companies make their pipe slightly different sizes so I will just end up with the same problem when I go to the next piece.

Thoughts?

Went to take the adjustable elbow off the old pipe and quickly saw the problem. The flue through the chimney is the same size as the elbow so the installer crimped the end of the elbow to fit inside of the flue into the chimney (leaving a fairly large air gap in the process).

I assume I can crimp the flue with a pair of pliers so that the new adjustable elbow will fit over it but not sure if I can create enough space so that the elbow will slide on far enough.

It's very common for different black pipe manufacturers to have trouble fitting together. A crimping tool is what is used in the trade to fix your problem, but you'd be spending $20 on a tool you may only need once. I've used needle nose pliers before and gone around the edge of the pipe with a little squeeze and quarter turn. Do it a little at a time until the pipe fits in nice.

If that is Selkirk Double Wall Are you installing with the crimps down. If so they go up on their double wall look at the arrow on the listing tag. This causes confusion all the time. the stainless steel inner will go to the inside making a dripless connection.

make sure your crimp is always on the downside of the pipe...

No, it's single wall.

New adjustable 90 is, existing flue is not.

If they are a different gauge it makes the OD different.

They are different. The new pipe is 22, the old is 24 or possibly 26.

But the old adjustable 90 didn't fit over the old flue either so it is the same problem. I'm just trying to do it right this time.

The piece of flue hat passes through the masonry chimney is the piece that attaches to the 30' of flex that goes up the old clay lined chimney so it is just a piece of black pipe with the strap that wrapped around the flex to hold it tight.

So the end is not crimped and that is the problem.

Somebody must have a pipe crimper in the greater Madison area.Better then using a pliers.

So, does anybody have a pipe crimper that I can borrow for 20 minutes this weekend?

We have probably two... one should on the truck thy are using right now. Other one(s) might be in the shop someplace.... No clue where. Can't help you out this weekend though, I wont be back till Monday.

If you can find it Monday would be fine. The pipe is too long so I need to see if I can get it cut on Monday.

Thanks!

Hope you get it figured out before Monday cuz the weather is going to get cold and windy, good time to break in that Fireview. I bet the installer couldn't get the liner to fit into the crock pipe? Should of used an adapter, he probably turned it around and inserted the male end of pipe into the liner. You could probably go to hardware store and find a 6" double male pipe for a couple bucks and either remove the pipe from liner, turn it around and use the double male pipe at the liner or just stick it on the end of the pipe as is and continue on down to the stove. Another thing I have done instead of using a pipe crimper is cut 4 small slits equally around on the end and then you can kind a squish it down to fit inside another female pipe end.

The pipe off the flue can't be turned around. it has the strap built in so you'd have to pull the liner to get it out.

Woodstock actually suggested cutting it like you suggested.

I hadn't looked at the weather. I can cut the 36" piece with a hacksaw as that is the male end but I have to cut the 12" on the female end so that cut has to look good. I guess I could take the short piece off the old pipe and cut it so I can get it together this weekend so I can get it up and running.

But then, i would be matching different gauges so not sure if that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.