New pipe old stove install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rock_dog

Oct 14, 2010
Bolivar, MO
I am installing an old huntsman wood stove and im using the tripple wall stainless pipe. is there anything special i should do to prep the pipe before I get a good fire going? dont want to mess up $500.00 worth of pipe! Any help is greatly appreciated.

There is really no "seasoning" needed with stainless steel chimney (also called Class A or HT chimney).
However, as with just about all things, moderation is the key. Don't get it red hot the first time (or maybe never!)

All interior pipe, usually black, should have three screws holding each joint and interior pipe should also be mechanically connected (if possible) to the chimney adapter. Furnace cement should be used between any single wall black pipe joints.

A couple slow initial fires helps season the paint on the interior pipe and stove...so that is another reason to start with moderation.

Good advice Craig.

Status
Not open for further replies.