New 'pitmaster' in the makings......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Had my nephews at the house Saturday afternoon, so we decided to do some cheddar brats, hot dogs, and burgers on the keyhole pit. My youngest son (he'll be 12 this week) asked if he could.do the cooking. I said absolutely!!

Getting the fire going.....second pic is after we "split" the fire...

2013-05-18_18-02-46_100.jpg 2013-05-18_18-49-13_450.jpg

Food on the fire.....game on! Applewood and white oak slivers doing the flavoring!

2013-05-18_19-00-09_445.jpg

He did a great job, didn't burn anything (and cooking on the open fire can be tricky). Great meal, even better was him cooking for us! Very proud of him!!

2013-05-18_19-05-58_717.jpg 2013-05-18_19-08-56_332.jpg

That's cool. Good for him. Every man needs to know how to cook meat and cut metal with fire.

Reactions: ScotO
The REAL test for the young man will be when we do steaks. He'll get his chance soon. Maybe as early as this weekend!! ;)

Reactions: pen
Skills like this are important on many levels. Good for you getting them started early
You are right about that. Funny thing about it is that he's been asking me since spring to 'take the helm'. He did a great job, and he enjoyed doing it to boot....

You are right about that. Funny thing about it is that he's been asking me since spring to 'take the helm'. He did a great job, and he enjoyed doing it to boot....

The pride that comes with outdoor skills, kitchen skills, handyman skills, and a dose of humility. I have no kids that I know of, but I'm convinced those will stem half the real trouble that kids get into.

Get that young man an apron for his birthday and some jars of BBQ sauce.

Mantra: "Overkills do not overcook."

make that young man a log seat. for comfort and for good ergonomics.
look deliciouso....which is italian for tasty.

there's always birch beer, root beer, and mead...there's no alcohol in mead right?

also known as the "tong master". Everyone elses job is to assist the tong master while he occasionally flips the meat over...regardless of who prepared the meat earlier and side dishes, the tong master takes ALL credit for the meal...

also known as the "tong master". Everyone elses job is to assist the tong master while he occasionally flips the meat over...regardless of who prepared the meat earlier and side dishes, the tong master takes ALL credit for the meal...
Ain't that the truth!!;)

i DO like the sound of "Tong Master".....is that also the name of a Hong Kong style kung-fu flick where the one guy says his flying tiger/crane style is better than the other guys drunken mantis style?

Good post Scotty! Time for me to have a meal over the fire in the back yard. Now that it has rained and we are past the burn ban I can finally burn up the brush pile in the pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.