New Plan for an Old Guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaoneill

Feeling the Heat
We have been heating with wood for 40 years and in all that time the wood handling hasn't really changed much. We use +/- 10 cord a year (will be close to 14 this year) and that is a fair amount of wood to deal with. As time goes on I realized that the cutting and splitting is less than half the total time it takes to get from from tree to boiler. The other 1/2 to 2/3 of the time and effort expended is in stacking, moving (loading & unloading trailer), and re-stacking. This year, if all goes according to plan, I am going to eliminate most of that work.

We use 2' wood. The wood will go from the splitter onto 4x4 pallets, I'll band it and not have to handle it again until I cut the bands to throw it into the boiler. We have two fairly large (80 hp) loader tractors and a crawler w/loader, any of which will pick a ton. A half cord of sugar maple or beach (most of what we burn) will weigh in at about 3/4 ton. A set of pallet forks and a $200 banding tool and we are good to go.

I will be able to easily segregate wood species and move it from the woods or log landing to drying shed to mechanical room wood shed without touching a stick. Only drawback I can see is that we built the mechanical room woodshed to hold 10 cord, wall to wall, floor to ceiling so we would have a winters worth without schlepping more in, in mid-winter. There isn't enough height to stack in there with a loader so we will only be able to get six cord in at a time. But, that said, it should be no big deal to move more in any time I care to, and both tractors have heated cabs. :)

Anyone here use this method or know someone who does? I am always open to suggestions as to how to make it work smoother.

What about using the boxes that are used for grape harvesting . About 4x4x4 , 2 boxes stacked would be 1 cord . This is what I'm thinking about in the future . I could move a box from the barn to the house and unload it into my racks in the basement for the downstairs stove , then up the elevator for the upstairs stove.

Reactions: glennm
I agree that that cutting and splitting is a fraction of the time involved. It takes me about as long to stack the first time as it does to split.

Once it is seasoned i got to move it from the racks to the woodshed, and stack it again.

I would like someday to have a combined seasoning/ storage shed so i could split, stack once, and then carry directly to the stove. I am thinking of a good sized unheated greenhouse with at least one overhead door.

But the pallets and bander and forklift works for me.

I started a thread.. something like 'show us your pallet' quite a few of us doing things along this idea. moving whole pallets of wood. I use 3 pallets formed into a U

then two boards hold the side pallets together. I'm using 2 rows of 2 foot wood. 3.3 pallets make a cord.

use the search function. I think you can click on my plane to the side and it will allow you to see threads I've started.

JP

Yes.. it's dang handy! IMGA0045.jpg

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
Status
Not open for further replies.