New Plant this Year for Eastern Canada (Crabbes)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, couple years in the makings, they finally got the bugs out of there new state of the art, european Pellet mill.I was up, had a tour or the plant,very impressive,could only guess at how many millions spent on it,he gave me couple bags to take home and test,even though they have been extensively tested at University of New Brunswick to make sure they are above the competition.
I burned the test bags, and was very pleased with the outcome.Have since then stacked a Pallet of 70 bags on my porch,and been running them steady since Oct 1st,only having to clean the window after approx 6 bags.They got me sold, job well done Crabbes,keep up the quality pellet which is 100% spruce, no bark added, and priced at a very fair $5/Bag by the pallet.Below is a quick glimpse of there Bag design and pellet quality,i hope to see them spread widely across Eastern Canada this fall.

Attachments

• tn_crabbe pellets.jpg
    tn_crabbe pellets.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,507
Glad to see you guys getting a local mill, finally, hopefully the quality stays up, and prices come down, or gets better, eh?

Yeah, the one time i'd have to agree that i'm pleased to Have Crabbes.On my back Deck of course.Bought a pallet of Shaw Brick(Eastern Embers also) they don,t even come close to Crabbe or LG-Granules, but for $4.00/Bag i was willing to give them a try,now i'm gonna sell them,should have remembered from first time trying them that i didn,t like em..

4 bucks a bag is pretty sweet. Any idea what the crabbes will cost and why the name crabbe? I needed heat so bought a pallet of true-burn for the first time. I was hesitant at first but now have realized the most heat output from the stove nearing 700 degrees on a three setting,which was only equaled once when I got a few bags of Eastern Embers that were especially hot. $ 4.50 a bag for 33 pounds which is equal to the Embers price.

Crabbe Mountain is a pretty fair ski hill near Fredericton......hope those pellets make their way to PEI...I'll get my supply next year if the price is near 5.00/bag.

I say the more competition the better the market will be for the consumer....gutterboy where were you able to purchase your Crabbe's at ?

Well, to my knowledge,they don,t seem to be pushing them to all the stores very hard, not sure if he's relying only on there reputation to sell them,but you can buy them straight at the Plant (H.J. Crabbe & Sons Ltd.) in Bristol/Florenceville-New Brunswick,for $5/Bag. I personally prefer to give my business to Wiebes Home Building Center in Centerville NB,and buy them there for same Price as the Plant,which makes sense.Anyone needing more info on these Pellets, please feel free to PM me,and I'll try to hook you up best i can.And no i don,t work for them,lol,but they are #1 on my List for this Burn Season.For me to put them Higher then the Almighty LG Pellets was an easy choice.

gutterboy2ca said:
Well, to my knowledge,they don,t seem to be pushing them to all the stores very hard, not sure if he's relying only on there reputation to sell them,but you can buy them straight at the Plant (H.J. Crabbe & Sons Ltd.) in Bristol/Florenceville-New Brunswick,for $5/Bag. I personally prefer to give my business to Wiebes Home Building Center in Centerville NB,and buy them there for same Price as the Plant,which makes sense.Anyone needing more info on these Pellets, please feel free to PM me,and I'll try to hook you up best i can.And no i don,t work for them,lol,but they are #1 on my List for this Burn Season.For me to put them Higher then the Almighty LG Pellets was an easy choice.

Can anyone comment as to the heat these pellets generate? How do they compare with Shaws (Eastern Embers)....?

I can Vouche for heat output in my Enviro as being equivelant to or above other brands i tested, plus i like buying local, and love the price drop of $.49/Bag this year, lower is always better.
Price is now at $4.49/Bag, 70 on a pallet.Just got mine in today, stoves running tonite first time this year with outside temp sitting at a chilly 41 F. or 5.4 Cels

Attachments

• tn_IMAG0357.jpg
    tn_IMAG0357.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 717
gutterboy2ca said:
I can Vouche for heat output in my Enviro as being equivelant to or above other brands i tested, plus i like buying local, and love the price drop of $.49/Bag this year, lower is always better.
Price is now at $4.49/Bag, 70 on a pallet.Just got mine in today, stoves running tonite first time this year with outside temp sitting at a chilly 41 F. or 5.4 Cels
Thanks! We can get them here (PEI) for $5/bag ...taxes included....additional cost to bring them across "the pond" I guess...LOL! No break for buying by the pallet though... We also have an Enviro. Looks like yours but is an insert. We're burning Comfy Cozy pellets tonight but with this Nor' Easter blowin' it just isn't crankin' the heat! I'll pick up a couple bags of "the Crabbe" pellets and try them.. thanks!

Hey Carter...Where on PEI are you getting the Crabbe Pellets? I ordered most of my supply from the sale at the Kensington Castle Building supply, but they charged for Pallets and it ended up not saving me as much as I thought. I still have room for some more and want to try the Crabbes!!

I am also on PEI and have not seen the Crabbe pellets. I use the Eastern Ambers and have been really happy with them. The heat output is great but the last couple of years I have noticed there seems to be more and more residue / ash on the glass etc when I go to clean. I am burning the M55 which I got near the end of last winter. These seem to get a little "dirty" on the glass anyway but I think this is a result of the design not the pellet.

Where do you get corn here on PEI? Do you mix the corn with the pellets or strickly burn it? I would like to try it in the M55 to see how it fairs out.

Thanks

Hey Jimmy ..I too have noticed that my last year's supply of the Eastern Embers wasn't nearly as good as the previous year!!. I burn a mix of corn in my Quad....probably about 5% mixed in...mainly the corn helps the pellets feed more easily...I have had a couple of auger jams when feeding just pellets, but never with the corn added...like little ball bearings!! also gives me a bit of choice....my Quad can go to 50/50 corn using the ignitor, and 100% if continuous burning, however I haven't found corn to be any cheaper so just use it to help move the pellets along....been buying the corn at Phillips Feed service by the race track in Charlottetown, around $13 for an 80 lb bag

I have 3 pails that I dump one bag of pellets into, then I take a yoghurt container (Yoplait Vanilla 750ml) and put a scoop in each pail, then mix it up with my little shovel..et voila!

peirhead said:
Hey Carter...Where on PEI are you getting the Crabbe Pellets? I ordered most of my supply from the sale at the Kensington Castle Building supply, but they charged for Pallets and it ended up not saving me as much as I thought. I still have room for some more and want to try the Crabbes!!
Illsley's Farm out of Summerside. They have an Ad on Kijiji. $4.85/bag $5 incl tax. Great price I just didn't know anything about them. The guy I spoke with there said they were 100% softwood, 8000 BTU/lb, .5% ash and moisture less 8%. Lauzon pellets are being sold at BMR and ar 9000 BTU and 100% hardwood. That's some serious BTU so I want to try these too. This is a great forum - glad I found it!

Thanks for the reply. I think I will try some corn and see how it works out. Do you think it burns any hotter??

Is there anywhere in CH'town that carry's the Crabbe ones as I would also like to try them. What BTU are the Eastern Ambers to compare to the ones you mention.

"PREMIUM WOOD PELLETS, 40 LBS BAG (18KG), 100% SOFTWOOD, PRICE $ 4.85 PLUS GST, http://www.illsleysfeed.com"
directly from Kijiji...gotta try some!!

kobalt said:
Is that for a 40lb bag for the Crabbe Pellets?
Yup! On another note .... they have pellets at Walmart called Eco-Energetics out of Quebec. Couldn't find out any info on them other than that they are 100% softwood. At $4.65/bag they're worth a try though.....

Excellent news...Thanks Carter..I've never seen pellets at walmart here before, so good to know that they have them..I'll have to try a few bags of them too.. so many choices...like never before!! guess I better start up the stove!!

Yes I see Walmart here is also selling Pellets in Woodstock NB this year, think they were that same Brand, @ 4.69/40lb bag, still $.20/bag higher then Crabbes, but i love the Quebec pellets too, Energex, and Lignetics were my favorite brands till i got ahold of Crabbes, i'll take almost anything over Eastern Embers,Comfy Cozy, and Maine Woods, all 3 are on my list for Bottom 3 out of 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.