New Power for an Old Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
I have a SpeeCo splitter I bought used in 1997, B&S engine. Never been a round that it was unable to split, not the fastest, but a sure thing. It's always been hard to start and now it has been burning oil lately, lots of fumes, so it was time for a new engine. I ordered a Honda GX200 on Friday, arrived today. Unbolted the old and bolted on the new. The Honda fired right up, and now looking forward to an easy to start, more quiet power for the old splitter and many more warm winters in the great white of northern Minnesota.

Did the same thing on my 1988 Duerr splitter a few years ago. Except that I put a $99 GX clone from Harbor Freight on it and it just keeps on keeping on. With a coupon they were so cheap I went ahead and bought two. Starting to look like the other one, new in the box, will be in my will.

I could have done the same thing and probably should have. The old B&S lasted well, although it was noisy and a hard starter. But now I have a shiny red engine vs black. Priceless. ;)

The first oil fill was 10W-30, and after a change or two I will switch to synthetic oil which I use in all of my small engines. The tongue end support I made by welding a 4" piece of 1/2" pipe to the I-beam and then made up a support from 3/8" rebar with an angle iron piece welded to the bottom and a washer to act a stop welded near the top or the bar.
DSCN2144.JPG

Nice job! My splitter has a Honda motor and I love it. The rest of my small engines are all B&S.

Not to hijack, but what synthetic oil do you all use in your small engines? I've always used conventional, but maybe I should switch. These little engines hardly use any oil anyway so the cost is negligible. Any concerns with switching old engines from conventional to synthetic?

Any concerns with switching old engines from conventional to synthetic?

No concern at all. Of course there isn't any good reason to switch either. Well, except for helping my Exxon/Mobil stock dividends.

Reactions: Jags
Starting to look like the other one, new in the box, will be in my will.
If I ever want to convert my electric ramsplitter to gas, I could help you free up some space ::-)::-)

Reactions: BrotherBart
Surplus center has 10 briggs vanguard for $300. Its a real good deal. Im considering one

Regarding use of synthetic oil, no question that the amount is small, but since I intended to change the first oil fill after about 5 hours of use, I thought dump the regular and then go synthetic. My main reason for using synthetic is that I'm not too diligent in any regular oil changes because it's hard to know how many hours the engine has been running without an hour meter. So, I think synthetic gives me more room for irregular hours between changes.

If you're replacing any engine, watch the dimensions carefully. Although the base mounting bolt pattern and the shaft bolt patterns were the same on the Honda and the B&S, and both engines were about the same cc in size, the Honda had a shut-off switch that just about touches the tire on the splitter, another 1/4" in width would have caused a big problem. Also, while the B&S exhaust port was straight ahead in the direction of the ram, the Honda exhaust port is right next to the hydraulic supply hose. I had to get a fitting and then move the hydraulic hose away from the exhaust port.

Status
Not open for further replies.