New Powerhouse 7 Ton Electric Log Splitter Arrived Yesterday!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Mystic

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2013
Western North Carolina
I've done all my splitting by hand these past 62 years (although I didn't start splitting until I was in my 30s!) and decided it was time to give my body a bit of a rest and try a log splitter. I didn't want a big gas powered unit due to storage requirements and thought a small electric splitter would fit the bill. I found this Powerhouse 7 ton unit on Sale online at Sears for $347 and free shipping, so I bought it. The unit arrived yesterday via UPS even though it weighed 120 lbs.!

I assembled it this morning, which only consists of bolting on the wheels and legs. Here are some photos:

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0204.JPG

It will handle logs just over 20" in length. You can see the 8" - 10" rounds of some oak I split to try it out. It split the green oak with no trouble, so it looks like it should handle my splitting needs. As some other owners on this forum have mentioned I converted the unit to one hand operation by removing the plate that goes between the two handles and then attaching a yoke between the two levers. Here is a before and after photo:

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

For safety reasons you have to hold down both these levers to activate the ram. It's hard to see, but there is a plate running straight back between the two levers to prevent you from using just one hand. I had read online where other guys with similar units removed the plate so you could use just one hand to push the two levers down and then have your other hand free to balance the log so that it didn't shift when the ram pushed it against the wedge. I did the same thing and also made a custom handle to yoke the two levers together.

I took off the plastic end caps on the half inch diameter levers and then used a piece of a tree limb that was about an inch and quarter in diameter for the yoke. I drilled a couple of holes in it and tapped it onto the levers and it works great.

Looks great! I bet you will have fun with that. Just remember to loosen the bleeder valve so you don't blow all your seals. Happy splitting!

Congratulations, Nick! Have fun with it! I`m sure it will meet all your needs.

Laurent

Congrats Nick!

I have a similar electric 5-ton Task Force that has split several cord for me in the past year (upwards of 24inch diameter). It's not the fastest, but gets the job done. As mentioned unscrew the bleeder valve before each use, and it will give you good results.

Reactions: Snigg
Status
Not open for further replies.