New privacy fence

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More...
DSCN1288.jpg

DSCN1240.jpg

Jutt77 said:
chinkapin_oak said:
Is that all cottonwood? How do you like burning it? Do you ever get your hands on some oak, ash, or other hardwood?

Yep, the tree services dump the wood for free in our driveway but this usually means cottonwood. Oak and ash are not a native species out here so its really hard to come by as is any hardwood or you pay a premium for it if you buy it ($400/cord). I did find a tiny bit of Red Oak that the city cut down last weekend but thats really rare. Sometimes I'll get some silver Maple and Elm. But pine and cottonwood are by far the most common. Anything above 6000-7000ft and its almost all pine.

I burned mostly lodgepole pine this season, which I really like. The cottonwood wont be ready until next season but I've heard it burns pretty similar to pine (quick but hot and no coals) so I think it should be pretty good. I probably have around 4-5 cords of cottonwood right now (2.5 split) and will try to have around 10 cords c/s/s for next season. From a BTU perspective, thats like 5 cords of oak.
If you're hoping that cottonwood will burn like lodgepole you might be a bit disappointed. Here's a BTU chart that list Lodgepole and cottonwood But hey it's free wood, right? and that stacks look great! Great picture.

Here's my privacy fence/woodshed with lights. :cheese:
shedlights.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.