New Problem Quad Castille gets hot then shuts down, after 20 minutes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thz123

Jan 8, 2009
IOWA
This morning my auger would not turn. I blew out vacumn hose, auger now turns. The unit will go through the normal start up, blower motor comes on then the unit shuts down. Has a red light and a green light on. Help??? Is it a snap disc?

HOW MANY POSTS ABOUT THE SAME THING ARE YOU GOING TO PUT UP HERE? DO YOU WANT SOMEONE TO ACTUALLY HELP YOU? Yes, I am yelling!

thz123 said:
This morning my auger would not turn. I blew out vacumn hose, auger now turns. The unit will go through the normal start up, blower motor comes on then the unit shuts down. Has a red light and a green light on. Help??? Is it a snap disc?

Sounds like a faulty thermostat connection. Is the red call light on?

smwilliamson said:
thz123 said:

Sounds like a faulty thermostat connection. Is the red call light on?

It started with this thread... Had to clean vac switch.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91828/

Then the current thread your looking at.. (This page)

Then this thread a little later…

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91842/

Could be something simple like the t-stat, or if he was messing with the Thermocouple earlier and didnt put it back in the ceramic far enough, or ceramic not sticking into pot........ Its the little things that will get ya.

I appreciate every ones help. I really do. Sorry I posted multiple threads last night. I was FRUSTRATED!

Yes I blew through the vacumn tube. The thermocouple appears to be seated in the unit. I never did touch the part.

Again thanks to: smwilliamson, tjnawtiw, and DexterDay.

No need to SHOUT. tjnawtiw I have read and appreciated your posts. I find you extremely informative. I did your spring suggestion. I am not on here to annoy you. I do appreciate your help.

thz123 said:
I appreciate every ones help. I really do. Sorry I posted multiple threads last night. I was FRUSTRATED!

Yes I blew through the vacumn tube. The thermocouple appears to be seated in the unit. I never did touch the part.

Again thanks to: smwilliamson, tjnawtiw, and DexterDay.

No need to SHOUT. tjnawtiw I have read and appreciated your posts. I find you extremely informative. I did your spring suggestion. I am not on here to annoy you. I do appreciate your help.

Not having heat can definitely be Frustrating. Thats understood. Tjnamtiw is a Castile/Santa Fe Guru. Lots of knowledge on them... Lots of knowledge on Quads in general.

How far into start-up are you getting when you get the lights (time the sequence of events and list "colors" in the timeline)

3 minutes - Flame (color light)
4 mintues - ?????? (color light)
Etc......

So here is what I experienced last night. Upon trying to start unit. The unit was not dropping pellets, i thought it was the auger.

1) 3 flashing orange lights, and 4 flashing blue light.
2) I blew out vacumn tube, reassembled unit. Pellet stove started, blower motor on, the unit ran fine for about 10 minutes. Unit goes through shut down mode, red light on in the control box with a constant green light. After unit cools down, I unplug unit for 10 minutes.
3) Plugged pellet stove in, flashing orange light (3 times), with flashing Blue light.
4) I unplugged unit

I hope to get a new thermo couple today from the dealer. Has anyone replaced one? Is the nut hard to remove? I sprayed penetrating oil on the nut this morning.

Inferno, thanks for your help.

You can read through my previous posts about troubles with my Quad Castille insert. After many months of troubleshooting, we finally hired a technician from the dealer who determined the auger motor was bad and replaced it today. Apparently, these motors go bad a lot. They said they installed the "last one they had in stock".
My question is.. why do they need so many in stock???
Good luck.. BELIEVE me, I feel your pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.