New Problems with the Castile Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sesro1978

Dec 23, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi-

As some of you may remember, I recently installed a brand-spanking new combustion blower (from Quadra-Fire) in my 5-year old Castile insert. All was well and good...for about 2-weeks. Over the past few evenings the noise in the video has been getting louder and louder. Anyone have any idea what this might be?

It seems unlikely that it's coming from the newly installed combustion blower and I don't hear it when the stove initially starts up - only seems to come on when heat is coming out of the exchanger tubes; at least that's when I've noticed it. Also, it fluctuates and seems to lessen when I put the stove on medium or low (it's on high in the video).

Thanks for any help!!

The noisy stove:

It sounds kind of metallic,bushings may be totally shot,or you dropped something in it when you worked on it,or(in my case,last time)it ate a mouse and wheel needs adjusted.Will not know untill you take it out.Looking at your manual,not very hard to get it out,and you can test it plugging directly into wall.

Hmm...You're talking about the convection blower which is located on the back of the insert, right? Not the combustion blower, which on my Castile is located on the right-hand side of the stove when you're facing it?

Yep, it's square in the back of the puppy! You have to unhook the exhaust and pull the darn thing out while wrestling with the surround, which in my case hits the mantle. The blower unplugs and there might be just a thumb screw holding it in place along with two magnets. The hardest part by far is getting the darn stove out and then back in at the same location!

Reactions: Mt Bob
As Tom suggested, accessing it is easy on a Castile free standing model, but probably a PITA on an insert !

Last season, my FS Castile had one of the 'squirrel cage' fans on the convection blower shaft crack, probably from the heat stress over 10 yrs of use, which threw the balance off and gave more noise / harmonic vibration than usual. So I wired mine back together with a twist tie as a temporary fix, and lubed the bearings with some 3 in 1 oil while it was out (even though supposedly these are 'sealed' and non-oilable, I did get some lube into the bearing).

I ordered a replacement convection blower for when mine finally dies, but it's still running almost a year later now.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Thanks guys! So you think it's most likely the convection blower? The noise is really kind of a high-pitched whirring and the pitch does go up and down when I change the stove's settings (high-medium-low).

As Tom suggested, accessing it is easy on a Castile free standing model, but probably a PITA on an insert !

Last season, my FS Castile had one of the 'squirrel cage' fans on the convection blower shaft crack, probably from the heat stress over 10 yrs of use, which threw the balance off and gave more noise / harmonic vibration than usual. So I wired mine back together with a twist tie as a temporary fix, and lubed the bearings with some 3 in 1 oil while it was out (even though supposedly these are 'sealed' and non-oilable, I did get some lube into the bearing).

I ordered a replacement convection blower for when mine finally dies, but it's still running almost a year later now.
The surest way of guaranteeing that a part will never fail is to put a replacement on your shelf! :)

Thanks guys! So you think it's most likely the convection blower? The noise is really kind of a high-pitched whirring and the pitch does go up and down when I change the stove's settings (high-medium-low).
You've replaced the combustion blower so it and the convection blower are the only two things that vary in speed as you change heat settings. Just pull it out and modify it to plug it directly into the wall.

When the new convection blower arrives...are there any gaskets that will need to be replaced or is it 'plug-and-play'?

No gaskets on that fan as far as I know. I never saw any when I had mine out for cleaning. I don't imagine there are.

Well, the convection blower is on order and hopefully will be here before this weekend so I can get the stove back on its feet.

Anyone have any tips on taking out the old blower and installing the new one? Since it's an insert it's going to be a PITA - any info. that makes this go smoother is appreciated!

Can't advise on the insert access issues, disconnect the vent pipe and pull it out of the fireplace?

But once you have reasonable access to the back of the stove it *should* be easy - peasy. Unplug of course, and remove the right side panel (as you're looking from the front of the stove) and disconnect the electrical plug quick - connect that goes to the blower motor. Loosen up the 4 Phillips head screws (2 on each side of the blower shrouding), but don't take them out completely. The screws nest in some shallow L - shaped slots in the sides of the shroud. The blower motor and vent shroud should then lift up and back out. That's it - new one goes in in reverse order.

I spray some dry graphite onto the 'squirrel cage' and the motor shaft after I clean my convection blower. We have 3 cats as well as foster kittens who love to hang out on or near the pellet stove, no surprise, and this seems to reduce the build-up of dust bunnies and cat hair in the fan cages and blower motor. I also vacuum the outside of the blower shrouding every couple weeks or so that helps allot to keep crud from getting into the fan cages. The small investments in frequent cleanings, both inside and outside the stove, no doubt improves overall stove performance and prevents premature problems down the road.

I bet your stove will run noticeably quieter with your new blower - enjoy!!

Well, the convection blower is on order and hopefully will be here before this weekend so I can get the stove back on its feet.

Anyone have any tips on taking out the old blower and installing the new one? Since it's an insert it's going to be a PITA - any info. that makes this go smoother is appreciated!

Here's a link to your operating manual, if you don't already have a copy in your Favorites links. I like having an on-line copy, as I can never find where the wifey moved the packet of the 100+ manuals that came with all our appliances. !!!

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/250_7251.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tjnamtiw
Replaced the convection blower on Saturday with no issues, other than it's a pain to get to. Stove seems to be heating well and is quiet - finally! I'm hoping that with with regular cleaning, it will stay that way.

Follow up question - probably not related, but I'm wondering how much ash build-up I should be seeing in the firebox after 3 or 4 hours of burning on high? It's not something I've ever really paid attention to, but wondering if a thin layer is normal.

perfectly normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.